Saturday, May 06, 2006

Ferret, what chu Sellin’?

My sleeping outside experiment fared far better last night. I was so tired I slept for most of the night and got up around 4 a.m. in the pre-dawn dark to start my morning coffee. The hardest part is initially going to sleep as your imagination will run wild.

Austere asked why am I doing this? First and foremost it is exciting, fun, and interesting for me. I like to explore alternative ways of living and doing things. I hate how isolated and shut off from nature I feel in my home during the summer. I am also extremely interested in the Native American’s ways of doing things. I have several more experiments planned for this summer to try such as trapping and snaring. I am lucky to live in a relatively rural and wooded location.

___________________________


I did go fishing very early this morning down at the river before they started generating electricity up at the dam. I caught two decent sized blue channel catfish with my bait of almost rancid chicken livers that I had defrosted in the fridge overnight. As I was driving home, I noticed Ferret heading at quite a quick pace up the highway carrying a box. I pulled over in a nearby parking lot to see if he needed a ride.

“Where ya headed man?” I asked as I rolled down my window.

“Pawn shop,” Ferret said and kept walking.

He was a man on a mission.

“Get in the car and I will give you a ride up there,” I replied.

Ferret put the box on the backseat and climbed into the passenger’s seat.

“What’s in the box?” I asked curiously.

“DVD player,” He replied giving up no further information.

Aparently, someone had “given” him a DVD player.

“I will sell it to you for $20 bucks,” Ferret said.

“Man, I have a nice Sony DVD player and I haven’t used it in years,” I replied. “I don’t watch movies or DVDs.”

I drove Ferret on up to the Pawn Shop. He got a grand total of $15 for a brand new DVD player. I told him he would have been better off making a sign and selling it on the street corner for around $50 bucks. He just wanted the quick cash to buy a case of $12.99 Natural Ice Beer down at Wal-Mart.

Well, I am going to go set up a picnic table outside and clean these catfish and get them in the freezer. Cleaning catfish is a bitch. I then may walk down to Fat Albert’s convenience store later and get a forty ounce of Colt 45 and join Ferret down by the river for bullshit and beer. I have a long Saturday with little planned to pass today. Good day.

No comments: