Friday, May 05, 2006

Summer Experiments

I have several summer experiments I want to try this summer. One is getting accustomed to sleeping on the ground without my tent. This is far scarier than it may seem to be, but last night proved my case. There is just something so comforting and securing about having those tent walls separating you from nature’s creatures and insects.

I had laid my sleeping bag out upon the ground in the backyard and had soon fallen asleep. I must have slept several hours when a blood curdling animal cry woke me up. It was very close and the animal seemed in great distress as if its leg were trapped in a snare. I fumbled around for my flashlight and shone it down towards the bamboo thicket on my side yard. Two eerily glowing green eyes reflected back in the light. My heart began to race. The animal took across my yard just feet from where I was sleeping. I still have no idea what kind of animal it was.

Somehow, I must overcome this fear to sleep outside in the elements. My rational mind knows that no animal lives in our area that could really do me harm unless it were rabid. Still, my imagination ran wild last night after that occurrence of the various beastly things that could harm me while I am so vulnerable fast asleep. My sleep the rest of the night was broken and uneasy. I would awaken at the slightest noise.

Once again, I will give it another try tonight. I have tried to stay awake all day so I will be so tired that nothing will keep me awake tonight. Hopefully, tonight’s experiment will fare with better results.

No comments: