Wednesday, January 21, 2004

Hunting Arrow Heads.....

It was a beautiful day today. The sky was clear, bright, and a beautiful shade of blue. The temperature got up in the mid fifties and it felt so warm and good.

I spent some time this morning looking for indian arrow heads. They are very abundant in this area. Used to, in the old days, you could walk behind the mule and plow as it tilled the soil and find many spearheads and arrowheads. (One of my father's cousins amassed a huge collection doing this. Many were of museum quality.)

I didn't find any thing but broken bits and pieces today. A few weeks ago, I found a really nice arrowhead with the perfect classical shape and keep it in my backpack despite the added weight.

The creek Indians that lived here had a large population and a unique culture but most of them were shipped off to reservations in Oklahoma during the 19th century. Today it's hard to believe that all of this area was populated by a people whose language, culture, and way of life were completely different from our own. The only thing left of their culture I can find are shaped bits of stone.

I also spent some time today working on my other blog on computer repair and it is slowly taking shape. I am just having a hard time organizing all the material in a way that pleases me. Hopefully soon, I would post a link and officially publish it.

Yesterday, I spent an hour navigating the maze that is the social security website learning about the ticket to work program. (thanks to a commenter for the info and the link!) You can spend forever navigating the numerous wild link trying to find what information you need. Surely, they could find an easier and more concise way to organize their website.

The ticket to work program was implemented in Alabama this last November so it is still new here. You can earn up to a certain amount without losing your benefits. You have to find a job or vocation that fits certain criteria and guidelines though for reasons of rehabilitation. (I am being presumptuous and sarcastic but I will bet you money that bagging groceries is an accepted vocation but not teaching arts and crafts to children at a camp! :P) You can also go back to work for up to 60 months and not have to go back through the tortuous application process if your disability worsens for some reason and you are unable to work for a time.

The website still left many questions unanswered so I have tried many times this afternoon to call but always get a busy tone. I will try to get over here early in the morning and call as soon as they open in the hopes to get straight through.

No comments: