Monday, January 19, 2004

Life's little conundrums.....

I got a reply back from the director of the camp. He basically stated that they do not take volunteers but would like for me to apply for employment. He said he was sending me a application and information packet and the latest promotional DVD. He also stated that he was going to be at Auburn University Feb. 17 and wanted me to come down and talk to him after his recruitment session.

I can understand why. A counselor or camp staff has to sign a 3 1/2 month contract to the camp and that ensures that they will stay and work the whole summer where as a volunteer would not be bound by this and could just up and leave on a whim. This could put the camp at a disadvantage. I would never do that but I do understand the reasoning.

The main reason I wanted to volunteer was to keep my SSDI. If I go to work full time at camp this summer I would lose my benefits. At the end of the summer I would still be homeless and without an income as well. Not a very good situation. I need to keep my SSDI in case my disability worsens or something happens. It is my lifeline currently.

I am not sure what I am going to do or what to email him back. I will sit on it for a few days and think about it.

No comments: