Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Yankee Beans...

Helen has been recruited to help mom on her diet.  I was just over at moms to get my cokes.  Helen was pulling a pan of baked chicken breasts out of the oven.

"Those are the most puny chicken breasts I have ever seen," I told Helen. "They're miniature."

Helen laughed and said, "I'm trying to help your mother with portion control."

I heard dad grumble in the den about having "Yankee beans."  The reason dad called them that was that Helen didn't put in any fattening salt pork to season the green beans the way they customarily do in the South. 

7 comments:

Leann said...

Our 'Yankee Beans' are definetily more tasteless than the southern style.

Jenn said...

You and Helen should write a southern food blog. I bet you'd win all kinds of awards!

(M)ary said...

i tried to make vegetarian southern beans once...but bacon soy substitutes just don't make the same sort of taste as salt pork. i guess my beans were yankee yuppie beans because i bought the "bacon" at the health food store.

The Middle Aged Woman said...

You've got to have the fat back!

Summer

Marsha said...

We use a ham hock. I don't have a clue what "fat back" and "salt pork" are! lol

I'm in Virginia.

geelizzie said...

oh, so THAT'S why the green beans at my favorite restaurant always taste so good-they make it southern style with lots of fat! fat does have a knack for making things taste good. and so does sugar.

Cathy said...

Hey, I just glanced over at that sobriety clock---Wow, Wow! Congrats, man--that's beautiful.