Monday, September 03, 2007

A Moment in Time

"Don't get up," Rosa told me this morning as I rolled out of bed at five. "We were sleeping so well."

Rosa has learned that I have strange sleeping habits. I sleep in spurts and can't remember the last time I got eight hours of sleep, straight.

I cranked my car and was soon on the way to the convenience store down the road for coffee and something sweet. An apple Danish and a cuppa, and I was feeling better.

"How are you and that woman of your's?" my favorite all-night clerk asked.

"She was giving me some grief about getting up so early," I replied.

"Next thing you know it and you will be married," he said with a Cheshire grin.

I told myself years ago that I would never get married again. I could see being married to Rosa, though. She is nothing like my ex-wife. I shuddered at the thought of my ex-wife and caught a morning freight over on the tracks. Coffee, Danish, trains. It was the perfect trifecta -- a good start to the day.

3 comments:

CRUSTYBEEF said...

I LOVE danishes!!! Love them..
it sounds like you had a great morning..
do you have to attend any bbq's with the family?-for your sake, I hope not. :)
Hope you and Rosa have a great day resting from the Labors of Life!
Always,
Crusty~

Josie Two Shoes said...

Great way to start the morning indeed! I am loving having the day off here - sunlight streaming thru my window, not a sound in the house but the clicking of the keys!

You and Rosa have developed a wonderfully comfortable relationship of give n' take - making room for each others preferences, I really like that!

Portia said...

wonderful post...short & sweet:)