Friday, September 14, 2007

Afternoon Check-In

Spent a long time sitting with my grandmother this afternoon. She was actually positive for a change and bragged on the fish they had for lunch. I had to settle a dispute she was having with one of her caregivers about a bathing issue though.

"She won't let me bathe her," the feisty black lady told me.

"Just let her bathe herself," I replied. "She is still able."

This seemingly simple solution pleased both parties.

I arrived home to find my mother waiting on me. She just wanted to sit awhile and talk. She was lonely.

"Mom, they discovered that the gene associated with left handedness is also associated with schizophrenia," I told her excitedly.

"Where did you hear this?" she asked.

"I read it on the Internet today," I replied.

We got embroiled in a long discussion about gene therapy and whether it would ever be viable as a cure.

"Wouldn't it be incredible if you could take a magic pill and be cured?"

My mother sighed and said, "It would have changed my life."

"Mine too."

Us schizophrenics can always hope, can't we?

Supper was a treat fixed by Rosa. She cooked some fettuccini and a rich and creamy parmesan cheese sauce. I boiled some broccoli and added it to mine which Rosa chose to forego. Dessert was some strawberry shortcake that Rosa prepared and it was delicious and hit the spot.

"Can you take me to my 8 PM NA meeting?" Rosa asked me after supper. I handed her the keys to my car and said I would just walk to my 7 PM AA meeting. It only takes 30 minutes to walk there. Well, let me get ready to leave in thirty minutes. I am excited about tonight's meeting and look forward to the camaraderie involved.

8 comments:

Nikita1 said...

Well done for going...and such a gentleman to hand the keys to her! Supper sounds brilliant..pass one some here...you wrote me hungry...and South Africa beat England in world cup rugby...i know Americans are not into rugby...but anyway...i'm excited...too...excited...36-0! and i'm going to have something to eat now...late night snack..after reading your post! sleep well!

Josie Two Shoes said...

What a nice post, Andrew. YOu are just full of good news lately! Isn't it a good feeling when life runs more smoothly for the moment? I think your whole approach to handling things has come a long way!

I love that Rosa is now doing a bit of the cooking, I'm sure it makes her feel good to contribute and do something for you. Supper sounded delicious! Rosa seems to be blossoming in the security of her role as your partner as well. I would love to read more about her early life, before she was on the streets.

I also think it's wonderful that you are each attending meetings - a little social time with others, so is a break in 24/7 togetherness. And look - you are doing something so good for yourselves! You two are far more inspiring than you know!

Ellie said...

Nice of you to sacrifice your car to Rosa just for that night. These little things matter much more than they are given credit for. I'm glad to hear that you and your mom are on the same page. Hope everything goes well.

Chaim said...

I was actually inspired by your post from earlier this week about your grandmother to do some thinking on the subject. I am glad you brought it up again tonight.

I was on the phone with my mother last night and she mentioned a story about her mother. My grandmother, generally, doesn't have anything nice to say about anything. We always joke that heer way of expressing satisfaction is to express dissatisfaction.

Why are so many grandparents like this? There are exceptions, of course, but I am sure everyone can tell of at least one grandparent who is difficult, negative, crotchety, and even spiteful. Is this what age does to us?

From there we got into a lengthy discussion about how this can be prevented. Can our perspective on today effect our reflections tomorrow? If I, say, don't beat myself up today over not getting the laundry done, will this help me, when I am 80, to not feel bitter over the opportunities I've missed out on, or the hardships I've endured?

I don't know. Interesting thoughts...

Anyway, I love a prolific blogger. Keep up the good work :)

M said...

Hi Andrew

Have a great weekend! I am glad it is Friday. I need to clean my house and finishing painting one of the bedrooms. Hoping that *this* will be the weekend I don't procrastinate!

Le Fleur said...

Mmmm, nice dinner. It almost makes me want to get back in the kitchen and start cooking like I used to. I think frozen food has made me lazy and I just need to bake some cookies from scratch to get me back in the swing of things. I hope both of you enjoyed good meetings, goodnight :)

KYRIE said...

Well, I am left handed. So, you are a leftie too I gather?

justLacey said...

Being left handed also, I somehow didn't find it comforting, lol. I have abnormal genes anyway. Have you ever heard of a "balanced robertsonian translocation"? Well apparently I have one with genes 13 and 22.