Friday, June 17, 2005

Day Trip

I know I write a lot about nature but that’s what excites me and spurs me to write. I have always been a naturalist at heart.

This morning I got up as the first light of dawn was starting to show. A pale sky blue glowed on the horizon and you could still see the twinkling of the brightest stars remaining overhead. The first calls of the morning songbirds echoed throughout my neighborhood. I was having my morning cigarette and an ample mug of coffee.

After completing my morning ritual, I went inside and packed up some provisions for a day trip out in the country. I packed some turkey and swiss on rye sandwiches and some chips. I also threw in two large bottles of lemon-lime Gatorade, a large bottle of tap water, and some energy bars. I picked a few select items of my gear to add also such as my handheld radio, one book, first aid kit, survival knife, and my snake bite kit. I placed all of this into my daypack and donned it upon my back. I climbed aboard my mountain bike and peddled my way out spring road until I escaped the city limits.

The cool morning air was comforting and almost chilly if I picked up any speed going down hill. I wish I had brought my fleece throw over. Soon, the sun shone in earnest and the day quickly heated up. The humidity was low so that made for a pleasant experience despite getting up into the lower nineties.

Eventually I found my way to one of my favorite spots to rest and recuperate on such a trip. It is a large, smooth granite rock jutting out of the forest floor along side a babbling brook. It is quite a way off from the dirt trail and I found it by accident last summer as I was exploring one afternoon.

I parked my bike up against a large oak nearby and sat down with my back towards the large rock facing the meandering creek. The soft sound of the water gurgling was music to my ears. I ate my sandwiches and drank my fair share. I watched as a lone crayfish crawled across the creek bottom looking for shelter. I then pulled out my book and begin to read as I munched on an energy bar. It was a beautiful setting underneath the dense canopy of old growth hardwoods. Shafts of sunlight shone through breaks in the forest overhead and a cool breeze was blowing. My eyelids grew soon grew heavy and I laid the book upon my chest and fell fast asleep.

By my watch, I awoke an hour later and was being eaten alive by mosquitoes. They were out in full force and had found me. I hastily packed up all my stuff and climbed aboard my bike to escape the onslaught. I rode a little deeper into the forest and then decided to turn around and head for home.

No comments: