Thursday, June 16, 2005

Evening Serenity

The evening is filled with the late calls of cicadas, crickets, and the chattering of the last remaining chimney swifts as they spiral down to their nocturnal abodes. The day is drawing slowly to a close. The cool, evening air wafts over me after a hot day and it is comforting. I pour myself a large glass of ice cold sweet tea and sit on the porch. I light a cigarette and take deep draughts. The last vestige of sunlight is on the western horizon; a perfect setting for the end of a perfect day.

It is times like these I wish I was camping amidst the wild woods. I yearn to fill my backpack with gear and to set out on an adventure; an adventure of survival, solitude, and oneness with my surroundings. The ambience of an evening such as this brings out the “Walden” in me.

No comments: