Tuesday, May 15, 2007

A Pill for Every Occasion

One of the perks of having a father who is a pharmacist whose best friend is a doctor is that medications are readily available. My father feels there is a pill for every occasion. Last night as I was taking my nightly medications for my mental illness, I told him of not being able to sleep for months. He gave me two Librium and I slept like a baby through the whole night for the first time in the longest time.

“Don’t take both of them at once,” he told me knowing me all too well.

I walked home and took both of them before bed anyway.

My mother is on a plethora of medications for her schizophrenia. They cause her to sleep around the clock - severely reducing the quality of her life. Personally, I would rather be crazy than live such a life, but I would never dare tell my father that. My mother is complacently medicated much to my father’s relief. It is all rather sad if you think about it.

At one point in my life, I was on the same medications as my mother. I slept all the time and could barely hold down a job. My then wife would grow so exasperated with me.

“Something’s wrong in that you need to sleep all the time,” she told me.

“It’s my Zyprexa for my schizophrenia,” I replied.

Rachel didn’t believe me so I talked her into taking one pill just to prove a point. She slept for twenty four hours straight and never again gave me a hard time about sleeping due to my medications.

8 comments:

Jenn said...

Why do medicines work that way? Is it because we don't know any other fix than to sleep through things? During my first pregnancy I had severe morning sickness and the remedy was a pill that made me so tired I fell asleep on my desk at work. That was the one and only time I took the pill.

Idyllwilde said...

Being manic-depressive, I have always done my best to sleep away my life. I am now on the "handful-a-day keeps the suicidal tendencies away" regimin. In a way, it is like emotionally sleeping my life away, but, personally, I would rather be numb than nuts. There is a tremendous guilt in making this decision, because I want to be a contributing member of society, but just give me one of my 'days' and I'll take oblivion every time.

Terri said...

I thought about you when I saw this article; astronomy and sleep depravation - perfect for Andrew!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070514/sc_nm/sleep_light_dc

EE said...

You know, I went off my anti-depressant (for anxiety) for the same reason, about 2 months ago.
My family is sooo excited that I am out of my "bubble" as they call it!

Elithefly said...

dont think your blog isnt worth reading, it is...
theres probably alot of people that read but dont respond

like me

but it helps me and gives me something to look forward to.

http://wwww.elithefly.blogspot.com

KansasSunflower said...

Interesting. I've always WISHED my fiance could take one of my medications to understand what it does to me, but there's no way he ever would, and I've never asked. Zyprexa is a horrible medication...you gain a ton of weight and sleep all the time...(bad memories)

austere said...

Its tough though these meds pay mysalary. take care.

糖尿病 said...

I don't remember the priest telling me when I went to Confession when I was a kid, "Well, Lance, it was wrong of you to disobey your mom and talk back to her like that, but since you set the table every night and do your homework and sent your aunt a birthday card, what the heck! You're a good kid. Your sins are forgiven automatically. No need for you to do any penance." 文秘 心脑血管 糖尿病 高血压 糖尿病 高血脂 高脂血症 冠心病 心律失常 心肌病 心肌炎 中风 偏瘫 脑出血心律失常 什么是心力衰竭 神经衰弱 心肌梗死 心脏瓣膜病 先天性心脏病 动脉硬化 风湿性心脏病 脑瘫 癫痫 羊角风 老年性痴呆 低血压 急性感染性心内膜炎 雷诺综合症 脑血栓 血栓闭塞性脉管炎 周围血管异常 肺心病 什么是心绞痛 脑梗塞 And maybe it's happened a few times and I haven't heard about it but I can't recall a judge ever letting somebody walk on the grounds the crook was a good guy and his friends really like him.