Sunday, May 20, 2007

Sleeping Beauty

My father is in Atlanta for a wedding this weekend. This means my mother is giving me my medications. Mom tickles me in that she wants to get it over with. I am supposed to take my medications before bed, but my mother will give them to me early in the morning so she can get it over with and go back to bed. That way she will not have to obsess over it and worry about it all day.

Ring. Ring.

"Hello?"

"Come over and take your medications," my mother said on the other end.

I walked over and my mother was standing on the back deck in her house robe and bedroom slippers with my medications in one hand and a glass of water in the other. He hair was all amiss and lopsided.

"What are you going to do today, mom?" I asked as I took those many pills.

"I am going back to bed and sleep for the rest of the day."

"Did you sleep during the night?"

"Yes."

I don't see how my mother can sleep all night and then sleep all day. I have a hard time getting more than five hours of sleep. It must be a terribly loathsome way of living – sleeping your life away.

I have been brainstorming lately about starting a support group for mentally ill people here in the Valley. I already have a venue where we can meet as in the A.A. meeting hall. I am unsure how to attract people to come, though. I am aware that larger cities have such support groups, but in a small town such as this we do not. The nearest support group is a forty-five minute drive away (NAMI) and I cannot afford to drive down there more than once a month. I am going to contact the local mental health clinic come Monday and see if they will refer people. That seems to be my only recourse.

I then called Rosa around 8am.

"Did you sleep well?" I asked as she answered the phone.

"I slept like a log," she said as she yawned.

"Come over at twelve and help me eat the rest of this chicken spaghetti," I said. "I am going to fix some biscuits and make a green salad. Dad gave me some fresh garden tomatoes the other day."

"Sounds great," Rosa said sleepily.

"Oh," Rosa then said abruptly. "You didn't take those pills, did you?"

"I've decided I am not going to take them," I replied. "I would rather be an insomniac than sleep all the time. At least, I will be living life."

"I am proud of you," she replied.

Rosa told me she would see me at twelve and we said our goodbyes and hung up the phone.

I am now going to go make my biscuit dough and put it in a wooden bowl in the fridge and cut up my salad. I don't know if I can wait till twelve to eat. I am already hungry and that casserole is calling my name. Good day.

8 comments:

simonsays said...

Andrew-your support group idea is a good one---you never cease to amaze me. Have a great day!

Cheryl said...

So are you saying you did or didn't take the pills your mother gave you? I don't want to picture you with your hair 'all amiss and lopsided,' walking over with your robe and bedroom slippers to get your medications. I want you to be you.

Andrew said...

Cheryl,

I only took the medications for my schizophrenia. I didn't take the benzodiazepenes that make you so sleepy.

Barb said...

Andrew, the support group idea sounds fabulous. Network the idea to the local MHMR offices, your physician, your dad's Pharmacy, and the like. I suspect you will have a viable group in no time. Peace

PipeTobacco said...

Sir:

Have you flushed the benzodiazepenes? I would not save them.

Also, what do you plan to tell your father upon his return?

PipeTobacco

justLacey said...

I love your support group idea. I think it's awesome. would you allow families too or just mentally ill people? you can never have too many friends can you? you are doing so well, im really happy that you are reaching out to others who you may be able to help too.

糖尿病 said...

I don't remember the priest telling me when I went to Confession when I was a kid, "Well, Lance, it was wrong of you to disobey your mom and talk back to her like that, but since you set the table every night and do your homework and sent your aunt a birthday card, what the heck! You're a good kid. Your sins are forgiven automatically. No need for you to do any penance." 文秘 心脑血管 糖尿病 高血压 糖尿病 高血脂 高脂血症 冠心病 心律失常 心肌病 心肌炎 中风 偏瘫 脑出血心律失常 什么是心力衰竭 神经衰弱 心肌梗死 心脏瓣膜病 先天性心脏病 动脉硬化 风湿性心脏病 脑瘫 癫痫 羊角风 老年性痴呆 低血压 急性感染性心内膜炎 雷诺综合症 脑血栓 血栓闭塞性脉管炎 周围血管异常 肺心病 什么是心绞痛 脑梗塞 And maybe it's happened a few times and I haven't heard about it but I can't recall a judge ever letting somebody walk on the grounds the crook was a good guy and his friends really like him.

Pamela said...

Andrew, I would make up a little flyer or "blerb" about the group you are startign and then I would also visit the various houses of worship in your community and ask if the information could be announced or put in the church bulletin. I also post things on laundromat and grocery store bulletin boards. It's amazing who reads the ads there and responds. Best Wishes as you journey on in this venutre. Somehow I think it is going to be successful. Remember it is not the number that count. I ran a NAMI Family to Family class with four, the org. wanted me to have twelve, but for the sake of the four who came, it was worth every minute.