Thursday, May 24, 2007

The Support Group Idea Grows

I contacted the local Mental Health Clinic this afternoon and they said they would be glad to refer people to my new support group. They will also allow me to put up flyers in the lobby where clients pick up their medications. Now, I need to call the local psychiatric ward of the hospital and see if they would be willing to refer people as well.

I talked to Philip, the local patriarch and committee member at our AA meeting hall. He said I could use the meeting hall as long as it didn't conflict with AA meetings. He also said I must pay for the refreshments, heating and cooling costs. I am going to ask my father to help with this until donations will pay for these expenses.

I am so afraid that for the first few weeks I am going to be the only person there sitting alone.

I made up a flyer to print and place around in various places. I removed addresses and phone numbers for privacy purposes to show on the blog. Click for a larger view.

13 comments:

Grad007 said...

Good luck!!

I hope the group thrives.

Agent Stealth Train Driver said...

that's awesome that you are getting this to work. One thing I would do is make "tri-city mental illness support group" in large text so you can understand what the poster is about from a distance.
Good luck!
Carson

2 LMZ FARMS said...

I hope everything turns out for you with this new support group. Proud of you for taking this step. Good luck and sending you good vibes your way.
Take care and have a good one.
Laura

fiwa said...

Good for you - I think that looks great!

Barb said...

Kudos to you!!! A dream only days ago, turned into a gift to benefit many!

B~

mago said...

HEY - that's good! You are doing something, you start something that's different from the usual things: It turns the mental-health-thing to the outside in the valley. There will be some people coming round, you'll see.

Melissa said...

Andrew
I am so proud of you for taking this step. I know that you have problems with social aniexty and by taking this step it shows that you are over coming on bridge of terror. I am again SO proud of you. I know that you will do great and that your meetings will be wonderful. Keep your head up because you are doing a great job.
Also the flyer also shows your great ability to use the computer. Andrew, I truly wish that I had some of your talent and skills. Wonderful, WOnderful
Melissa

Dave said...

All my best.

kario said...

You might think about contacting your state's NAMI office to get them to refer people, too. They have lots of people signed up that would probably be really interested. www.nami.org Good luck with this!

Cheryl said...

I'm just amazed and proud of you. I can't wait to hear as this venture comes to life. The poster is awesome.

EE said...

Great flyer.

justLacey said...

The flyer looks wonderful! Good luck.

Terroni said...

This is really great Andrew! I can't wait to hear how it turns out. It may be a little slow going in the beginning, but I hope it grows into an amazing group.