Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Road Trip

"George told me you tried to ask a woman out the other night," Rosa told me as we were driving down to a nearby college town with a mall to go shopping.

"Damn George," I thought. You can't tell him anything without him gossiping about it.

"I just asked her out for coffee and to talk," I replied.

"Would you date her?"

"No," I replied, lying. I didn't want to hurt Rosa's feelings and felt something's were best not said. It didn't amount to anything anyway.

"You know I would be extremely jealous."

"I know. That's why I didn't say anything about it. I didn't want to hurt you."

We arrived at the mall after a forty five minute drive. I had a $500 dollar gift card for Belk's to spend from my birthday and also a $100 gift card from my brother for Red Lobster. I bought Rosa two very nice shirts.

"How do I look?" Rosa asked as she came out of the fitting room.

"You look gorgeous," I replied as I smiled, glad she looked so excited and happy. Rosa nor I can afford to go shopping much.

Rosa smiled sheepishly as I lavished praise upon her. I also bought myself four polo style shirts and two pair of shorts and we left. I still have $200 dollars left on that card. The prices were very reasonable and my shirts were buy-one, get-one-free.

We then headed for the Red Lobster that was just across the parking lot from the mall.

"I don't much like seafood," Rosa said.

"Then get a steak," I replied.

I and Rosa both got the thirty shrimp special despite her saying she didn't like seafood and I noticed she ate every bite. Rosa also got a margarita and I got one as well of the virgin varieties. We finished with dessert. I almost couldn't stand up I was so full. We really lived it up today.

"I don't know what I would do without you," Rosa told me as I was driving home. "It's weird having a cool friend who isn't also a crack head."

I smiled broadly.

"That is what best friends are for," I replied. "Just help me stay sober and I will help you stay clean."

I dropped Rosa off at her house and headed home. It was a really nice day and I enjoyed it despite my aversion to shopping.


10 comments:

Monkling said...

Even something as boring as shopping can be fun with the right company, eh?

Glenda J said...

Andrew--

Thank you for being so generous to Rosa. Thanks also for writing, I like reading your blog. Keep up the good work.

Moonlink said...

Acts of kindness lead to acts of kindness.

fiwa said...

Wow - that sounds like a really great day. That was really sweet of you to share the bounty with Rosa. Makes it more fun, doesn't it?

I would love to see a picture of Rosa. Would she let you put one on your blog?

Glad it was a good day. :)

Cheryl said...

When you started talking about the redhead, I immediately thought of how hard that would be for Rosa. As much as it would hurt her, it would probably be good for her to know you have interests in other women. Just to really reinforce the friendship thing. You know she's thinking you'll come around and be more than friends with her. Right? You're a wonderful friend, and I love how you give so freely the things that you have.

CRUSTYBEEF said...

You are such a giver...never forget that, please!
Always,
Crusty

Melissa said...

I love your heart Andrew. You are a wonderful friend. There are not many people out there who have a great heart like yours. I am also glad to hear that I am not alone. I love shopping a Belk. Great store for everything (my clothes, husbands, and kids). Remember that a true friend is hard to come by. Keep your head up. Great postings.
Melissa

I think you're crazy just like me said...

That sounds like so much fun, and so relaxing...

Summer said...

You are indeed a thoughtful and kind friend. BUT, Cheryl is right in what she says about Rosa.

Dorid said...

Of course, Andrew, you've probably read already my comment under the post with Rosa's picture, and you know I disagree with Cheryl and Summer...

Only because I'm not sure you are 100% committed to keeping Rosa just a friend... just a feeling I have from reading your writing.