Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Callous George

It is mid-morning down at the shopping center. A great congregation of the gang has gathered. Even that old standby, Cap-with-Tag-Guy, has made an appearance. He is stoically silent as always as he leans upon the nearby wall listening to his Sony Discman as he gyrates to the music.

"Hey chicken man," George tells Ferret laughing hilariously.

"Don't call me that," Ferret replies, sullenly.

I can't help but smile. George can be so unruly sometimes.

"How much for some breasts?" George then asks as he laughs even harder. "I like my breasts spicy."

For those of you new to the blog, Ferret is a long time friend who is now working over at Kentucky Fried Chicken. George loves to pick at Ferret about his crappy and menial job.

"If you don't shut up," Ferret says, "I am going to tell everyone about Pookie stealing your wallet yet one more time last night."

George clammed up quickly. I was interested in hearing about George's latest faux pas with Pookie.

"How much did she steal?" I ask George.

"I let her borrow it," George says, finagling the truth.

"Uh-huh," I say, not believing a damn thing George just said.

Ferret had enough of being berated by George and walked off just as Rosa was walking up. Rosa glared at George with a eat shit and die look.

"Here comes yo girlfriend," George says of Rosa to me.

"I wish he would go away," Rosa says to me quietly out of earshot of George as she sits down next to me.

"Been selling yo pussy lately?" George asks Rosa coarsely.

"Fuck you, you drunken lush," Rosa replies, not missing a beat.

George laughs. Big S is sitting next to Rosa and me upon the bench and he chuckles as well.

"George, have you been drinking?" I ask.

"Nope," George replies. "Cross my heart and hope to die."

"Let's walk back to your house," Rosa tells me as she gets up and grabs my hand.

"You better pull out your wallet cause you are gonna have to pay for a piece of that honkey ass," George says of Rosa, brusquely, as he laughs once again.

I glare at George with a piercing stare. I don't take kindly to him berating Rosa about her past. George doesn't have much room to talk as he has quite a few skeletons in his closet as well.

"I almost kicked that son of a bitch's ass," Rosa tells me, angrily, as we were walking home.

"Don't mind George," I say. "That is just his version of having fun."

"I don't know what you see in that old lush. It certainly isn't funny," Rosa says. "He is just not good company."

It is hard to explain me and George's camaraderie. We have been friends for years now. I have a sneaking suspicion that George had had a few drinks thus loosening his tongue today. George sure did go a long way this morning in burning the remnants of the bridges between him and the gang. He will sober up and hopefully realize how much of an asshole he was.

6 comments:

CRUSTYBEEF said...

What an asshole. I hope he never makes you choise between him and Rosa. It's obvious that he's jealous. Makes me think of that old 90's flick, pretty woman..when Stucky gets mad that Julia Roberts won't go for him and smacks her. Sometimes regardless of the length of friendship, it's best to let the ship sail, so to speak.
George needs to stop pointing out the specks in Rosa's eyes, as he has logs in his own.
Always,
Crusty

Tory said...

Poor Rosa. She shouldn't have to constantly be reminded of her past mistakes, especially by a drunk. Please defend her when you can, Andrew. She's a wonderful friend who really cares for you. I bet you have no doubt that she would defend you!
Hope you have a fantastic day! Say hi to Rosa for me.
Tory

I think you're crazy just like me said...

Ferret HAS a job and he is keeping it... there is nothing menial about it. Good for him.

fiwa said...

I think Rosa and George are just extremely jealous of one another. Hopefully that will die down as they realize you aren't going one off for the other.

And I am so proud of you for speaking up in the AA meeting and standing up to Bob for throwing the other guy out. That took guts.

Glad you and Rosa enjoyed your meal. I hope today is a good day for you.

C. R. Morris said...

I think George needs to believe that he's lost some good friends. It think it might help him to appreciate them more. You should have let Rosa beat him down.

mosiacmind said...

I found out that the computers at COVA's computer lab will let me post and see comments...YEAH. It has been a very rough week for me yet wanted to say hi...went to a AA meeting yesterday and it was good to be there. I am so wanting to hang out with you and Rosa and George sometime...was thinking of perhaps like a year from now or so but was thinking ahead does Greyhound buses go to your town? or close by...wanted to say hi.my bipolar is kicking my butt and i am hallucinating lots and i fell twice this week so crap happens LOTS this week. I think George is jealous of the time you spend with Rosa...I also think it is really crappy of him to bring up her past but she does seem to be able to speak up for herself which is good. I hope that you have a great day and are taking great care of yourself.