Sunday, May 20, 2007

Tranquility Base


This evening found me in the kitchen cooking. I prepared Pioneer Woman's chicken spaghetti. Check out her blog. It is a great read and she is a wonderful photographer.

"This is absolutely delicious," Rosa told me as we sat eating. "And I am not much of a casserole person."

Rosa and I finished our meal and she helped me clean up the kitchen afterwards. I then fixed my mother a plate and I and Rosa walked over to my parent's house to give it to her. I introduced Rosa to my mom. They seemed to get alone quite well.

"Your parent's house is huge," Rosa said as we were walking home.

"I personally wouldn't want it," I replied. "It costs dad a fortune to heat and cool the damn thing."

Rosa finally left to go home and I readied myself for my nightly AA meeting. I drove myself to a nearby college town to the meetings held in an old former Catholic Church. I noticed Dana's, the Celtic Beauty's, car in the parking lot as I arrived.

"Hey stranger," she said as I walked into the meeting hall.

We talked for about ten minutes until the meeting started. I then shared some of my misgivings about I and my father's relationship and his recent attempts to drug me into submission. The consensus was that I should just say no and I agreed. Xanax is terribly addictive and I just knew I would be hooked in a matter of days. I also revealed for the first time in all the years I have been going to AA that I have a mental illness. I would never do this at the stodgy and conservative group in my hometown.

"I struggle with bi-polar," a lady told me as she came up to greet me after the meeting. "My doctor has me on lithium."

"I take lithium as well," I said. "Does it upset your stomach?"

"I always try to eat when I take it," she replied.

"Walk out to my car with me and let me give you my phone number," I told her. "That way you can call me if you ever need a friend to talk about mental health issues."

She did follow me out to my car and I wrote my number on a napkin. She asked me if it would be okay if she could call me tomorrow night when she got off of work. I told her I would be pleased to speak to her for awhile. I then left and drove on home and spent the rest of the evening working on my computers and installing a TV tuner card I had ordered on the internet. Saturday is George's poker night so we didn't go on the drunken express.

Well, let me head to bed. It has been a busy day.

9 comments:

Cheryl said...

Wonderful to hear from you. I was confident that you were going to be OK. You're really stepping out of your comfort zone, talking about your mental illness at A.A. and offering your phone number to talk to a fellow struggler. (I know how you usually feel about talking on the phone.) It sounds like it was a great day. I want a TV tuner card too. Lucky you. I hope you get a great night's sleep.

Seven said...

Hi.
I just wanted to check how you are doing and whether you feel better. I do think I will try the chicken cassarole dish. It appears easy enough to prepare!
Lots of love, take care

Cheryl said...

PS. Pioneer Woman's blog is the best!

SimplyTim said...

Wow!

fiwa said...

Go Andrew!!! I can't believe you stood up and said all of that - I am so impressed. This new AA group sounds much better. It may be a longer drive, but it sounds like it's worth it in the long run.

Have a wonderful day.

fiwa

Jenn said...

Thanks for the link to a new blog! I am going to make that recipe this week. When are you going to show me how to make biscuits? I just can't seem to get it right.

Melanie said...

What does this TV tuner card thing do?

Moonlink said...

Let us know the advantages of a TV tuner card.

abbagirl74 said...

I am happy to hear that you have extended yourself by way of phone. Good for you. I know how that can bother you sometimes.