Monday, October 11, 2004

Adventures in Dumpster Diving……

I’ve been doing a lot of research lately and have found some wonderfully interesting websites and books to read. I am trying to find ways to lessen my dependence upon money. I am trying hard to think out of the box. I want to learn and try novel ideas to make me more self sufficient.

I read a book they other day called Possum’ Living. This was a book about the adventures of a daughter and her father and how they lived on just $1600 a year. They did this solely out of choice. Their biggest asset was that they sold everything they had and bought a modest homestead and some acres of land. This was the key to their self sufficiency. They grew all their food and raised chickens and rabbits for meat. Although they went farther than I probably would in my attempts for self sufficiency, it was very interesting reading. Polly, the author of the book, had tons of unique and interesting ideas to share.

Reading this book got me to thinking and looking for resources on the web along similar lines that the book shared. I wanted to know how these people were able to live well on such little amounts and they way they talked they were not poor at all. They had interesting, free lifestyles full of wonderful things and great satisfaction.

I was sitting here looking at my budget and how to cut costs and the cigarette monster raised its ugly head. I spend $80 dollars a month on cigarettes. They have to go. I also spend $200 dollars a month on food. I have to find a way to lessen my food budget. My biggest expense by far is my utilities and mortgage. I don’t see a way of lessening those amounts unless I choose to live in a tent again.

I decided to get up early this morning and try an experiment. I have always looked down on people who dumpster dive (rubbish bin for you UK persons). It seemed to symbolize poverty and squalor. I had to try and get over these hangs ups and try it for myself. From what I have read, you can easily find good food in the dumpsters behind super markets.

I waited till it was just light and hit the dumpster behind the Piggly Wiggly. I knew the police would harass me if I was down there before dawn with a flashlight. They would think I was a burglar. Here are some of the things I found that were perfectly edible.

1) Two heads of cabbage that only had brown wilted leaves on the outside. I pulled off the outside leaves to reveal two perfectly good cabbages.
2) A large can of coffee that was severely dented but the seal was still intact. I
drink a lot of coffee and it is expensive so this will help.
3) Several severely dented cans of Piggly Wiggly brand Spaghetti O’s. I could still open them from the bottom.
4) A bag of bread where one end was smashed. The whole other half of the loaf was still good and fresh. I will freeze this and use it as toast. The smashed
bread will be used in meat loaf and bread puddings.
5) A bag of bruised apples. I will cut out the blemishes and then slice and freeze them for pies and tarts.

I made some beef low mein with the cabbage. I took a pound of ground beef, some soy sauce, and the cabbage and cooked it till the cabbage was wilted in a very large skillet. I then cooked some rice to eat the beef low mein on. It was a very good meal and filling. I am freezing the rest in individual freezer bags for future meals.

No comments: