Sunday, October 10, 2004

An update…..

I have much news to share and things to talk about. This post will expand as the day goes and I have more time to write. The house is coming along nicely. I am dead tired and have worked my ass off all week. I have much of my belongings moved. The hardest thing to move was the piano. Man, those things weigh a ton. I am seriously thinking of selling it but it was a nice gift and I don’t want to hurt my family’s feelings so I guess I will hang onto it. I wanted to sell it to get up the money to buy a washer and dryer.

I went to the Auburn game yesterday. It was a much more relaxed game than playing LSU. We played Louisiana Tech. University. We won 52 to 7. We are now ranked number 6 in the nation and I am sure will move up in the polls come Monday.

I have to leave for homecoming in New Harmony in a few moments. I cooked a casserole dish of macaroni and cheese. We are having a pot luck lunch. This is an annual tradition for a little Presbyterian church out on a dirt road in the middle of no where. They don’t even have electricity. I am worried it will just be me and my great aunt. Everyone has passed away or moved away who used to attend. We used to have large crowds when I was a youngster. I will write more this afternoon.

Back from New Harmony……

Okay, I made it back from New Harmony Church. We actually had 25 people show up who were all my relatives on the McDonald side. There was plenty of homemade southern cooking and lots of conversation about family history and genealogy. I spent a long time sweeping out the church. No one had been inside since last year’s homecoming and the floor was covered with thousands of dead lady bugs. Lady bugs like to over winter in old or abandoned buildings and apparently they got in but couldn’t get out.

I am a big history buff so bear with me here. New Harmony is the oldest church in Chambers County Alabama. It was founded in 1835 after the forced resettlement of the Creek Indians, also known as the Muskogee Indians by their native tongue. A large group of Scottish settlers moved in and established homesteads and this humble church. I took a few moments to write down a few gravestones to give you an idea of the age of the church and the graveyard.

Malcolm Campbell
Born 1832 Died 1861
Confederate Army
Died a Prisoner of War

Angus McIntyre
Company L
6th Regiment
Alabama
Infantry
Confederate States of America
Born 1837 Died
1919

Calvin L Campbell
Private
4th Alabama
Infantry
Confederate States of America
Born August 5th, 1839
Died January 1st, 1917

I hope to research these names and their confederate army units and find out what battles they fought in. That will be a fun project for my history hobby next week.

About me blog……

I’ve been busy lately but also had the blogging funks. I just have had no interest to update this blog any longer. I am going to try to start writing about some things that have greatly interested me lately to spur more writing from me on this blog. Some of these things will be unorthodox and unconventional but are things I have studied a lot about lately. A lot of it has to do with homesteading, frugality, self sufficiency, and wilderness survival. This may bore the shit out of some of you but please stop by to catch the occasional post about the piggly wiggly groupies. I have a good one written up about George that is very vulgar but funny (George was on a roll yesterday). I just want to take this blog in a new direction for my own interest’s sake.

No comments: