Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Strike three, you’re out!

I am sitting here listening to late 20’s and early 30’s jazz and writing. I’ve had a long day of painting and moving and am glad to have downtime. I wrote this little story for fun as I was sitting here. It captures a moment of time as me and my great aunt sat eating our barbeque Saturday. I was trying to capture the nuances of what happened in a way where you felt you were there with us. I laugh about it now but it made me very nervous as it happened.

She sat down in front of me. She was as cute as a button and had a smile like a million dollars. She looked like she was in her late twenties or early thirties. We made some small talk to break the ice.

“Hi, I am Karen.” She said as she thrust her hand towards me. I stood up as she sat down.

“I’m Andrew. Nice to meet you.” I said as I sat down with her.

She smiled back very flirtingly. My great aunt sat next to me complaining about the large portion of food and how wasteful it was.

“I will never be able to eat all of this.” My great aunt cried.

“Take it home with you and put it the fridge.” I said.

The woman across the bench from me smiled and chuckled at our little repartee.

“So, were do you live?” She asked.

“I live in my late grandmother’s home in Lanett. I have a little apartment downstairs.” I said.

“Ah, I see. Do you own it?” She asked.

“No, my father does but I pay rent.” I said as I nervously squirmed on the bench.

Strike One!

“So, where do you work?” She asked.

I hesitated. I didn’t want to sound like a slacker.

“I don’t. I am on disability. I am trying to find a part time job.” I said as I blushed.

Strike Two!

She took a drink of coke and we tried to avert eye contact. I sat there nervously fidgeting with a napkin.

“So…..what kind of disability do you have? I hope you don’t mind me asking.” She replied.

What could I say? Oh dear miss, I fell off of my motorcycle and broke my shoulder was what I wanted to say. I told the truth.

“I have a mental illness. I am normal on my medicine though.” I said.

There was this God awful silence. I wanted to walk away and needed to smoke. She smiled politely and focused on eating her lunch.

Strike Three! I was out.

Her initial flirting turned into polite conversation. You could tell she was trying to back away now. Oh well, I had no more intentions than just friendship even though I think she had other ideas at first. Thus goes the life of a man with a complicated past and present.

No comments: