Thursday, May 26, 2005

May the Force Be With You

I just returned from an afternoon matinee showing of Star Wars Episode III. It was a pleasant experience with almost no one in the theater this afternoon. No love struck teenagers or ringing cell phones marred the experience. I snuck in my own refreshments in my backpack. I had some snicker bars and some cokes.

I had downloaded it the night it premiered and watched it on my computer but I wanted the full screen experience. It was well worth the drive down for the Dolby digital surround in the theater. The soundtrack was the most striking aspect of the film for me.

I guess you could say I was “fulfilling my destiny” as they often told Anakin and Luke in the Star Wars universe. I saw the original Star Wars in a now extinct drive in theater in 1977. It was a pleasant summer like evening. My uncle, who was then a teenager in high school, took me and my little brother. It left an indelible impression on my then young mind.

For years afterwards, I wanted to be a noble and just Jedi knight of the republic. I went on to help build George Lucas’ fortune by purchasing almost anything star wars related. My only lasting memorabilia from that time is a T-shirt from my childhood with a speeder trooper on a speeder bike traveling through the woods of Endor emblazed upon it. It still hangs from a clothes hanger in my closet. I kept it mainly because my grandmother bought it for me at a local K-Mart and for nostalgia reasons.

Well, it is time to go find my old VHS copy of the original Star Wars and to spend a pleasant evening reliving those wonderful memories of my youth. I wonder how the old films that I haven’t seen in decades will stand up to the newer ones. Let’s go find out, shall we? Now, I hope that VCR that I haven’t used in years still works……

No comments: