Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Rain and More Rain

It continues to pour down rain here. It has rained continuously since Saturday. Wave after wave of rain is coming out of the Gulf of Mexico. I am pretty much stuck in the house. If you were homeless then this weather would be absolutely miserable. I would be stuck in my tent for days on end with nothing to do but to read or listen to the radio. Just the simple task of relieving yourself would prove to be an interesting and wet experience. At least the sound of the rain falling is comforting and soothing.

I found a website where people with mental illnesses can meet up and become pen pals. It is a free service and has over 3000 people signed up so far. I am talking to five people and it is becoming a chore keeping up with their emails and responding back. It is turning out to be hard work. They write A LOT and I feel like I have to respond in kind. Most of these people are either homebound and/or unemployed so they have a lot of time to write.

One fellow I am speaking with has schizophrenia as well. He believed his family were werewolves and that his mission was to kill them. Scary eh? They got him on some medicine and his delusions went away. It shows you how dangerous this disease can be. Luckily, I never had violent tendencies just extreme paranoia as if I was being watched or followed. That and I thought God was communicating with me through the television and the internet.

One lady I am corresponding with writes very well and it is a pleasure to read her emails. We have become fast friends and talk everyday. She lives a few hours away from me in Mississippi. She has schizoaffective disorder. She is 27 and still lives at home with her parents. It is nice to be able to talk to other people who understand what those of us with mental illnesses go through.

No comments: