Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Miscellaneous Observations

As I sat on my front porch this afternoon, I heard the familiar screech of a raptor. I looked up hoping to see a bald eagle but it was some kind of eagle that was brown. He or she was being dogged by a trio of black crows. They pecked and pestered this grand specimen until he or she had flown out of sight. I wonder what the drama was about. Did the eagle threaten the crow’s nest site or do crows compete with eagles for prey? I do know that crows are predatory and omnivorous. I once saw a crow take a starling or cowbird mid-flight from a tree limb and peck it to death upon the ground. Soon other crows joined in on this travesty.
__________________________________________


A stray cat whom I call “Mr. Big Balls” ambled through the back yard today. I call him “Mr. Big Balls” as he is the most well endowed feline I have ever encountered. He ambles along with a sway due to his prominence in that area.

He was busily marking his territory by “spraying” different vegetation. He looked markedly more gaunt and emaciated today. He lay up under my car to take a nap and to escape the afternoon heat. I opened a can of tuna and took it to him. He hungrily lapped up the juices and ate the tuna. He purred loudly as I petted him and rubbed his back. I could feel his ribs and bones by my hand as I rubbed him. Just another sex starved homeless traveler! lol

No comments: