Sunday, August 09, 2009

Breakfast from many Avenues...

I ate breakfast with George and his mom this morning.  Mrs. Jones had prepared a hashbrown casserole and fried bacon. 

"Why do black people in the South go to church so long?" I asked Mrs. Jones.

Main service can often last for 3 hours or more.  

"They didn't have anything better to do back then," she said with a smile.  "Some things just stay the same even after time."

I left George's house and headed to mom and dad's a few blocks over.  I needed to get my daily allotment of caffeine.  Dad and Charlie were eating a McDonald's breakfast on the back deck.  Dad looked like he had been playing in the dirt he was so dirty from yard work.  Charlie offered up the idea that I do physical therapy when dad comes every night with my medications.  I have some of the resistance bands at home.

"I don't know," I said apprehensively. 

"You about fell walking up the steps," dad quipped. 

"We'll give a try I guess," I finally muttered with little zeal. 

Maggie's in the bed today.  I guess it's just one of those dog days of summer best slept away.  If I could sleep, then I would be in the bed with her.  She looks so comfortable.     

5 comments:

This IS The Fun Part! said...

Dearest Andrew,

You must know by now that the reason most of us check to see what you've written almost every day is because we like you - and we love the way you express yourself.

A lot of us do have plenty of other humans around - but still, we are lonely just like you.

Always remember - we come here, we read, we comment and we nag - because we care!

Warm thoughts for you today!
Grannie

Kathy said...

What I said yesterday goes for today, too.
Maggie has the right idea. It's a hot one!

Lena said...

Can you get a PT to come to your house? That may work better for you.
Glad to see your post today.

(M)ary said...

3 hours of church on a hot sunday morning or afternoon does not sound good to me! yikes.

anonymous said...

Thank you for telling us about your visit with George's mother.