Monday, August 10, 2009

Enter Door Here --->

I drove over for my cokes this morning.  On dad's bedside table was a bottle of Barcardi rum.  Half empty.  "No," I said. "It couldn't be him." Still, it worried me. 

Mom was asleep in the bed as the new alarm service was installing an alarm. The house was wide open to anybody who wanted to take anything.  It was all rather strange. 

"Where's dad?"

"He's at work."

"Where's Helen?"

"She had a doctor's appointment."

Cary, the alarm guy was busily whistling a tune under the house as he strung wire.

"Mom, I'm going to ask you something and please don't get defensive.  I honestly want to know."

"Okay," mom said looking at me warily.

"Do you actually sleep all this time in the bed?  Do you daydream? Do you just dream if you sleep?"

"I actually sleep most of the time," mom said. "I take 3 Xanax at night and have become accustomed to sleeping in the day."

That answered one mystery except my parent's house was full of mysteries that went unanswered this morning.    

8 comments:

PipeTobacco said...

Sir:

You state "It couldn't be him." Do you mean that your father does not drink at all? Or are you referring to something else about the mysteries you speak that is as of yet unsaid?

The post was curiously interesting and thought provoking. Almost like a mystery novel or detective story. I like the style.

PipeTobacco
http://frumpyprofessor.blogspot.com

becomingkate said...

Just stopping in to say Hello Andrew. Hope all is going well!

(M)ary said...

so, does she sleep all day and sleep all night too?

does she get up and walk around at all?? man, after a day or two, i would at least need to move to another place in the house to sleep.

and what about the rum. maybe your dad is just drinking one drink a night and the bottle just happens to be at the half empty level...

Kathy said...

Hmm. Keep us posted on the mystery of the Bacardi rum.

The Middle Aged Woman said...

I was thinking the same thing Pipe was thinking. The style is great. Keep it going.

Jay M. said...

Hmmm. I want to know more. This feels like a teaser...

Seth M. Ward said...

man....I couldn't imagine sleeping my day away......though sleep would be nice.....I think I am off to bed.

Tee said...

Glad to see you back. Did you find out about that half empty rum bottle?

Look at you 630 days sober. Way to go!