Tuesday, June 13, 2006

A Helping Hand

I spent a long time this morning printing out all the forms for applying for Social Security disability for Ferret. Ferret is concerned he will need a lawyer and can’t afford one. I assured him I got my disability on the first try without a lawyer. I even went so far as to stamp the envelope to make it easy for him and told him to stick it in my mail box after filling them out and to put up the outgoing mail flag. He needs to start the process now as it can take months and winter is approaching. I told him he doesn’t want to be homeless during the winter as it is a miserable and cold existence. I know from direct experience. With some stable income maybe we can get him an apartment. Housing is cheap here in the small town I live in.

I am also trying to get Ferret to go to the local mental health clinic once a month and see a doctor and get on some medications. He doesn’t like to talk about it though and it is like pulling teeth to get him to discuss his depression and mental illness. He needs some documentation and history of treatment to more easily get on disability.

When I was homeless, I would go by the clinic once a month to get my medications and to see the doctor. Seeing the doctor was free and each bottle of medication was subsidized by the county for only two dollars a bottle. So money is not a factor in Ferret obtaining this service. I think he is avoiding the issue because he doesn’t want to admit he has a problem.

No comments: