Thursday, June 08, 2006

Clean and Shaven

I once again made my way down to Ferret’s campsite this morning. Ferret loved the use of the DVD player and the movie. X-Men 3 lived up to his expectations. He then asked me if I would give him a ride down to the truck stop to get a shower and a shave. We walked back to my house and got in my car. Ferret didn’t have a razor or shaving cream so we swung by my father’s pharmacy and got some under the guise that they were for me.

After Ferret had showered, we ate some breakfast in the truck stop restaurant and talked over cups of coffee.

“I used to ride my motorcycle over here to shower when I was homeless as well,” I said.

“How long were you homeless?” Ferret asked.

“Six cold fucking months in the winter of 2003,” I replied.

“You were married, right?” Ferret asked.

“Yeah, for two years,” I replied.

The waitress came over to our table and refilled our cups of coffee. I told her thank you and she smiled the softest and most heartfelt smile. She was quite a specimen and her eyes mesmerized me. I was tempted to ask her for her phone number.

“What happened?” Ferret asked regaining my attention.

“What?” I asked having lost the flow of conversation.

“Your marriage,” He said.

“Oh, I had a bad drinking problem,” I replied. “She finally got fed up with it and wanted a divorce. I gave her everything except my motorcycle and walked away. That was when I became homeless. I had no where to go. I headed for the woods.”

“Man, that fuckin’ sucks,” Ferret said.

“Well, its just water under the bridge now,” I replied. “I try not to think about it too much these days.”

“Do you and her still talk?” Ferret asked.

“We haven’t spoken in over a year now,” I replied. “She is the librarian at our local library and has done well for herself I have heard. I am happy for her.”

“Was she sexy?” Ferret asked.

“What is this? Twenty questions?” I asked as I laughed. “Yeah, she was a sweetheart. She had one hell of a nice ass. I miss her sometimes. Life’s not meant to be lived alone.”

“I ain’t ever getting married,” Ferret said.

“Why?” I asked.

“I don’t want no woman telling me what to do,” Ferret said.

I laughed.

“Well, if you get married then that tends to happen from time to time,” I said with a smile. “Women have a mind of their own.”

The waitress brought our check and asked us if we wanted another refill. I asked Ferret if he wanted anymore. He said no.

“No thank you ma’am,” I said. “We are fine.”

I paid for our meals and I and Ferret headed back up the interstate into town. I dropped him off at the railroad tracks and watched for a moment as he walked off to his humble campsite in the woods. I then drove on home feeling thankful for my home and my loving family. Ferret has neither; just another day in the life of a homeless man. A good homeless man at that though.

No comments: