Friday, June 02, 2006

Interesting Tale from Last Night

It was around 3:00 a.m. I had run out of milk and was dying for a cold glass of it. I decided to drive over to the all night convenience store. As I pulled into the parking lot, this black lady came running up to my car waving a ten dollar bill.

“Will you be giving me a ride?” She asked. “I be paying you ten dollars.”

“Keep your money lady,” I said. “Let me buy my milk and I will take you if it is not far.”

“Oh, I be livin’ up behind Kroger,” She replied.

Kroger was only a short drive away from the convenience store so I agreed. I bought my milk and we both climbed into the car to start her journey home.

“I be knowin’ you be a good man when you refused the ten dollars,” She said. “I just don’t want to be gettin’ killed by some crazy white man out at three a.m.”

“Well, I can assure you I am not going to kill you,” I replied. “There is not a violent bone in my body.”

“You be knowin’ Merl that owns the diner?” She asked me.

“I and my mother eat there every Thursday night,” I replied. “She knows my dad really well.”

“She be my sister,” The Lady said.

“It’s a small world,” I replied.

The Lady was talking really fast and frantically and she couldn’t sit still. It was becoming obvious she was under the influence of someone. Why else would someone be walking in the rain at 3 a.m. and getting rides from strangers? Crack cocaine is a fucked up drug.

It was a short drive to her home and I dropped her off. It had just started to rain heavily again. The Lady had found me just at the right time. I drove on home in the rain and then poured me a huge glass of cold milk. Damn, it tasted so good. I then climbed into the bed and fell back to sleep.

No comments: