Sunday, June 04, 2006

A Sandwich of Help

Ferret walked over to my house late yesterday evening. I didn’t even know he knew where I lived. I guess Sherman told him. Ferret was hungry and wanted to borrow a few bucks to get something to eat. I didn’t have any money, but did fix him a couple of turkey and cheese on wheat sandwiches and gave him a coca-cola. He hungrily ate them as we sat on my front porch and talked. He said they were, “the best damn sandwiches he had ever eaten.” I had some really delicious deli sliced turkey that I had paid way too much for the other day.

The bad thing about living in a small town and being homeless is there are no soup kitchens or services for the homeless. If you run out of money or food stamps then you go hungry unless you can find someone to help. Thus Ferret’s recent conundrum when his food stamps had run out.

Ferret is obsessed with going to see the new X-Men movie. That’s all we talked about as we sat on my porch. I told him I downloaded it and saw it a few days ago and that it was good. I had to explain to ferret how I could see a current in-theater movie via the internet. He told me that when he finds a home he wants a computer and the internet and wants me to teach him how to use them. I told him I would.

George has mysteriously disappeared for a few days. No one has seen him. It is times like these I worry that his luck in avoiding the police has finally run out. I do hope he is not sitting in a jail cell. Most likely, he is just holed up over at Pookie’s house or his mom’s house drinking away. He does have a tendency to disappear from time to time. As soon as his drinking money runs out, he will be out and about again and driving his taxi to fund his habit. I guess I need to give him a call and see what’s up.

No comments: