Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Christmas in June

George was a no-show last night. He probably got waylaid at Pookie’s house. I wasn’t too disappointed as it was very late when he called and I was not far from the bed. I was just glad he was okay as he had disappeared for days. I saved his message last night and listened to it again this morning. I laughed once again; nothing like being called a “white cracka.”

I thrilled Ferret’s soul this morning. Ferret called it, “Christmas in June.” My sister, the doctor, gave me one of those expensive portable DVD players for Christmas last year. I have never even taken it out of the box as I don’t watch many DVDs. Well, this morning I took it out and charged the battery. I also burned the latest X-Men movie to a DVD. I rode down to Ferret’s campsite and handed the DVD player to him.

“What’s this?” Ferret asked.

“It is the new X-Men movie you have wanted to see so badly,” I replied.

Ferret hasn’t had the money or the transportation to go see it. It is kinda hard to stay up on current movies when you are homeless.

“You’re shitting me?” Ferret said as he grinned furiously.

“I am serious,” I said. “You can watch it on that thing. I burned it to DVD.”

“Ah, man, you are the best,” He replied shaking my hand.

“Promise me you are not going to pawn that DVD player for beer though,” I replied. “If you need beer that bad then bring the DVD player back and we will go get a twelve pack and I will pay for it.”

“Cross my heart and hope to die,” Ferret said. “I promise I won’t pawn it.”

“If you need to recharge it, walk over to the house and there is a plug just outside my backdoor on the side of the house,” I said. “The adaptor is in the bag.”

“Man, this is Christmas in June,” Ferret said with a grin.

I showed Ferret how to use it and he just marveled at the little contraption. I told him if he wanted some more movies to come by the house and I would burn some more. I then bid him farewell.

I made my way up to the shopping center. The only groupie out there was Droopy and Droopy is not much company so I headed on home to fix some breakfast and take my medicine. Thus ends today’s tale.

No comments: