Thursday, December 28, 2006

A Case of One Non-Complier…

Being a schizophrenic man, it is very important for me to take my daily medications much as a diabetic must regulate their blood sugar with insulin. I have always been notoriously non-compliant with taking my medications over the years though. It is a catch-22 as when you are taking your medications and feeling better, you seem to think you don’t need them or they are hampering your life with side effects. Thus you stop taking them and another cycle of mental illness starts again. I have driven my family mad over the years completing this very same cycle.

Lately, I have found that eating three balanced meals a day followed by taking my medications after every meal has proven to be very successful for this notoriously non-compliant man. Sometimes, it takes going to the hospital, like lately, to get back into this healthy cycle of normality like a few weeks ago though. I have also found a hearty satisfying breakfast to start the tone of day. I complete the same ritual every morning of cooking an early breakfast followed by taking my numerous morning medications.

The hard part is that when you are not feeling mentally well, it is terribly hard to get back into this cycle. That is were having a supportive family and a capable and reachable physician comes into important play. I sometimes get tired of the ever watchful eye of my family, but they know me and my life patterns better than anyone other than Carolyn. They usually can tell within a day or two of my being withdrawn that I am not doing well mentally and will confront me. I need an outside source as a barometer of how well I am doing many weeks as my spates of madness can be intoxicating as I get lost in the paranoia and delusions that haunt my mind.

Well, I must go get a shower and head down to the doctor’s office for this mornings injection of my anti-psychotic. I almost forgot about it and my father called me from the Atlanta airport a moment ago to remind me. As you can see, it is important to have a caring and supportive family when someone deals with a mentally unwell mind.


This mornings hearty breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon, buttered toast, cheddar slices, an apple, and orange juice followed by this morning's medications below.


8 comments:

Cheryl said...

Knowing what's best for us and doing it takes a lot of willpower. I'm a very routine-oriented person, and it works for me. It sounds like it's just the thing for you. Thanks for sharing those thoughts.

Your breakfast looks great. It's oatmeal for me, every day. Of the year. Routine, ya know?

M said...

The cheese looks good. Since being diagnosed with allergy induced asthma, I have been avoiding cheese and other dairy.

Oh, I miss it!!

M said...

I wish I could get my family to understand that we need to watch out for my brother with schziophrenria.

I notice when his mood changes and I ask if he is taking my meds.

My mother screams at me for asking.

abbagirl74 said...

The food looks delicious! Looks like I have a friend that can throw down a good breakfast. I noticed that you take as many pills as you have different foods for breakfast. Cool coinky-dink. Do you take them all at once or one at a time? I would have to do it one at a time. I'm such a baby!

Andrew said...

I take them all at once with a big gulp of orange juice! lol

Summer said...

I have an old h.s. b/f who is manic depressive and non compliant at times. It takes one crazy email from him and one stern one back from me to get him back on track. But, you know it. That's half the battle and I so admire you for it. I have my own demons to battle and I'm not near as aware as you. Don't be so hard on yourself. You are a great person. I really do mean it.

RICH said...

Mental illness is just like any other illness and the medication piece is very important as you stated. People with diabetes do go to work every day and are productive people as is true for people that are schizophrenic.

austere said...

Like I told abbagirl a long time back, someday you're invited to an Indian breakfast with khakra/ prantha and pickle- ok ok we take orange juice and fruit too, so not so bad.

I find sleep also pretty imp.Old age and all.*cough*