Monday, December 11, 2006

Juxtaposition of times…

It is hard to believe that only a week ago I was in the hospital. What a juxtaposition and contrasting times seven days can bring. I feel much better these days and am enjoying a simple, direct way of life. I get up early every morning, make breakfast, and then head out for my daily hike. I hiked an additional three miles this morning making for another nine mile day.

This afternoon found me down at the train tracks reading a book. I have picked Tolstoy’s War and Peace back up again and I am going to try to slog through it once more. I found it hard to concentrate though to read as many a train passed and caught my attention. I longed to hop aboard a slow freight and see where I ended up at the end of the day. I would love to have been perched upon the stoop of a hopper car riding into that big rail yard in Atlanta following adventure at every step. I have hopped freights before in my younger days and may just take an adventure soon. Wanderlust is really overtaking me these days. It didn’t help that it was just an absolutely gorgeous, spring like day today.

My father called me around lunch time to meet him at Rodger’s Barbeque to set up my tab. I now have a running tab at the restaurant and can eat lunch everyday free of charge. The restaurant will bill my father monthly depending on what I eat everyday. Today’s meal was turkey and dressing, candied sweet potatoes, turnip greens with ham hocks, cornbread, banana pudding, and sweet tea. It was delicious. I very much look forward to having a southern style meal cooked for me everyday. My father is a swell man for doing such a thing for me and paying for it. Maybe, I will gain some weight as is his reason for doing this. He worries I don’t get three squares a day. I usually do pretty well in making sure I eat three good meals a day with lots of nutritious food such as fruit. I am currently hooked on Granny Smith apples and bananas.

I trudged home from the tracks with a smile on my face this afternoon. All was right in my world for the day. I did long for a cigarette, but resisted the urge. Today marks day nine without a cigarette. I was such a heavy smoker since the age of sixteen that is it still hard to believe that I am smoke free these days. I actually don’t miss it all that much. It is nice not having cigarettes dictate to me what I do with my day. It is also nice to take my long hikes everyday without having to stop every few miles to fumble for my pack of cigarettes and to light up. I still have a nagging cough though and have coughed up my fair share of phlegm. Hopefully, in a few weeks this shall pass.

I am still struggling with insomnia despite taking a sleep aid prescribed by my doctor. This morning found me awake well before 3 AM and I just got on up and left Carolyn to fend for herself. She has no trouble sleeping for twelve hours at a time. My natural circadian rhythms are all amiss. Luckily, I haven’t felt all that tired and have caught a few cat naps during the day of a few minutes here and there. I am hoping I will sleep tonight though. I would love to melt into my warm covers only to awake at the dawning of a new sun. These dark nights and short days tend to get to me. I don’t relish being nocturnal these days.

Evening arrived and found me parked out at the end of spring road to watch the sunset. I stood next to my car as I poured myself a mug of coffee from the thermos I had prepared. I watched as the sun disappeared below the horizon to end the light of another day. I am so lucky to have the time to enjoy such slow days and such time consuming experiences. The world truly is my playground most days when I am feeling well. I take such pleasure in the natural beauty of this Earth we live upon. I wish I could end each day with a glorious sunset like I did today.

Well, let me quit rambling. I just felt like writing tonight and capturing my day in words. I realize these types of long winded posts are death knells for the readership of a blog. I hope you will allow my indulgence in such a post tonight. I have written far too much for just one blog post and must quit. Good night and may the winds of good fortune blow your way as another day dawns tomorrow.

13 comments:

SmemanUfo said...

I too was a big smoker, and about 7 years ago my wife and I were thinking of starting a family together. Because I did not want to raise my child in a smokers home, I quit.

It was very difficult, but the reward outweighs the tribulations I went through. We now have a wonderful 4 year old, and our health has never been better.

I wish you the best on your quest. It gets better the further along you get, but like any addiction, it is always there. Even now I will reach for the phantom pack of cigs, wondering where they went. It's just something I continue to deal with.

simonsays said...

Keep on writing Andrew, we don't care how long your entries are, just keep writing. We were all quite worried about you when you weren't writing at all. No need to apologize-hang in there on the smoking!

Cheryl said...

I loved your long post. I wish my day was just like yours...every bit of it. Thank you for sharing it with me.

Summer said...

I want to have lunch with you one day. Thanks for sharing your day with me.

SKQBDOO said...

Yes!!!!!Finally a two post day again!!!!!

Kristen said...

Ah, you have readers, here, Andrew, not 30-second sound-bite addicts.

Your post was beautiful. I was there with you through your descriptions, observations, and the sharing of your feelings. Readers read for the love of image the words create, as well as the story line. Keep on letting it flow.

Never fear you will scare us away. We are not going anywhere. :)

Anonymous said...

I loved reading your post as well - thanks for writing!

greglo said...

I love the way you experience the beauty of your days. You enjoy what's given, what's already there that we so often fail to see. I'm living in a small town, in the countryside where the rythm of life is quiet. I read your posts about the hikes and nature and I very often see myself through what you write.

Ok time for the first cup of coffee of the day!

Hope you're having a good night sleep,

Take care,

Laurent

PipeTobacco said...

Sir:

Any new updates on your home? Or, any new information about your impending camera?

You never did answer yet, does your refraining from cigarettes mean you are also refraining from your pipe or is that allowed?

PipeTobacco

Kristen said...

Hey, Pipe, com'on. Quitting smoking is hard enough! He's gotta do what he's gotta do, and there is a pain/pleasure struggle going on. Flipping both ways, back and forth.

He has a goal to be healthy, save money, breathe easier, hike stronger, taste and smell better ... the list goes on. But still it is not easy.

The one may trigger the other, and progress will be lost. He is enjoying his progress, and a lot of folks are wishing they could do the same thing.

Let us just listen, observe, and give support.

Amanda said...

Congratulations on your 9 smoke-free days. I quit smoking 7 years ago and it has been one of the best presents I have given myself so far.

And I wouldn't worry about the lengths of the posts. This is your place after all, if you can't be yourself here, there can't be much meaning in doing it can there...

Anonymous said...

I love your blog long or short. You are a lucky man to have a car and someone to sleep with. You are giving yourself and your nice Mom and Dad a great Christmas Present by turning your back on those stinking coffin nails called c-i-g-a-r-e-t-t-e-s.

Kristin said...

I read with much joy and fascination. Your everyday life seems so far from mine, and your way of describing it suites me fine. I will create a blog written in english and tell some from my everyday life for you to take part in - if you like! :)

Again; my english is'nt that good, but I'll try my best.

Best regards, Kristin from Norway