Thursday, February 08, 2007

A Respite from the Cold…

The temperature soared above seventy degrees yesterday. I so enjoyed our little respite from the cold that I walked an extra three miles on my daily jaunt. I noticed robins everywhere as I hiked. They were marching across the many yards in my neighborhood like little red breasted stalwart soldiers in search of a meal.
George has been known to disappear on these drunken binges from time to time.
I tried to meet up with George yesterday afternoon to ask him about his little transgression the day before. I drove over to his house just in time to eat supper with Mrs. Jones, his mother. Mrs. Jones invited me in. I had already eaten a small meal of some leftover cheesy chicken and rice casserole that I had cooked the day earlier, but wasn’t about to pass on one of Mrs. Jones' fantastic meals. Mrs. Jones is a wonderful cook in the great tradition of southern African American ladies. She had cooked fried cubed steak and gravy, buttery sticky rice, steamed broccoli, and homemade biscuits.

“I haven’t seen him in two days,” She told me of George as we sat her table and ate. “I think he is on a bender and I am worried about him.”

“He is probably over at Pookie’s house.”

“Dat girl be nothin’ but trouble.”

“I know,” I said. “But what can we do?”

George has been known to disappear on these drunken binges from time to time.

After our meal, I helped George’s mom wash the dishes and then headed for home.

“Don’t be a stranger, baby,” Mrs. Jones told me as I walked out the door.

“If I find George, I will call you,” I said.

She gave me a hug and I drove on home to take a shower and get ready for my Alcoholics Anonymous meeting.

13 comments:

Summer said...

I would move to Alabama just for the food.

Cheryl said...

It is amazing that it can be so warm there. How did the flowering trees and plants survive your recent cold snap?

Mrs. Jones always seems to enjoy your company and appetite. I'm glad to hear you're looking to talk to George.

Enjoy the rest of your day!

Kristen said...

Never a dull moment with weather flip flopping like that! It was good to read of the warmth of 70 degrees, as I am about to go hiking in 18 degree weather.

RubyLou said...

I'm mad at George for what he said. But I don't want to judge too soon... you didn't get the info straight from George, yet. So I'll wait to see what he says, after you find him.

I'm glad the weather warmed up! We are still in a deep freeze and there is no sign of coming out of it soon... but no matter, we are headed to Arizona tomorrow! That will be a nice reprieve.

Amanda said...

Mrs Jones sounds like a really neat person. :)

Augs Casa said...

Ah yes, good ole southern cooking. Doesn't get any better than that. I hope George is well and you are able to speak to him soon. One of the things I miss about the south is the hospitality and the invited over for supper. Sheesh, I hadn't said supper in years.

Woo said...

You are a very compationate friend. George will see that he is blessed to have you in his life. I am from the South and grew up on food like that. When I read what you had for dinner my stomach gave a growl...I miss that down home eatin'.

Dave said...

I came across your blog by way of the "Next Blog" icon and read four or five of your posts.

My thought, you have a lot of stuff to deal with; but, why don't you think about writing, just writing. No mental illness, no AA, no George the gossip.

You have some talent. Why not try to turn it into something.

Regardless,

My best,

Dave.

Onatnomiguel said...

yes is very beautifull

bye

Amy H said...

Mrs. Jones seems like a real nice lady.

The warmth in Alabama sounds really nice too!

Take care!

Anonymous said...

Testing

abbagirl74 said...

you are such a good friend. we all need good friends.

gadis said...

A fantastic blog. Keep it up.
just visiting my site
Gadis Idola
Gambar Gadis Cantik
Gadis Remaja
Gadis Pemuas
PSK
thanks.