Thursday, February 01, 2007

Calm at Command Station Central…

It is rainy days like this that I so enjoy. I don’t feel guilty for spending all day in front of the computer. I have an old favorite Joni Mitchell CD playing on my overkill home theater. Maggie is lying at my feet chewing on the remnants of a rawhide bone. The smell of slow simmering spaghetti sauce is wafting out of my kitchen. All is right with my world today.

He is only sixty and has already had triple bypass heart surgery. That drug store is a damn stressful place to garner income.

Mom called me a minute ago.

“My hip is killing me,” She said. “I am not going to be able to go out tonight to eat.”

“Do you want me to go get you something for supper?” I asked.

“No, I will just eat one of my Lean Cuisine meals,” She replied and we got off the phone.

Dad has also called to talk about the weather. I inherited my weather obsession from him.

“We narrowly dodged the bullet last night,” He said above the loud din of his busy pharmacy in the background.

“I know,” I replied. “It got down to thirty four degrees and just held there.”

“I was worried we would get some ice forming,” He said. “That would have been a mess.”

“We still have several more chances of snow coming up,” I replied. “James Spann says it might not get above freezing Monday and that is rare for the Deep South.”

“I love that I and you can talk weather,” Dad said. “Your brother doesn’t even know when it is raining.”

I laughed and agreed with Dad about my brother.

Dad had to go fill some more prescriptions and hurriedly got off the phone. I don’t envy him of his job. His business has taken a toll on his health over the years. He is only sixty and has already had triple bypass heart surgery. That drug store is a damn stressful place to garner a income.

4 comments:

DraMa said...

I used to be weather obesessed. I wanted to be a meteorologist actually. Part of me still does. But it's a new life now. I still love weather and find the weather channel very interesting. My favorite time of year? Well that would be Hurricane season! WOOT!

Anyway, I'm glad you are having such a great day! You sound like a great cook too! Keep smiling!

Andrew said...

Hey there gal! :-)

I hope this finds the kids and the hubby okay. I, too, wanted to be a meteorologist. I just couldn't pass all the math classes involved so I majored in Voice Performance and Piano. I read tons of weather blogs and keep up with statistical model runs from the National Weather Service everyday. Take care of yourself and thanks for the comment.

Andrew

Ugly Debty said...

I love the way you write. I could read it all day, Well done you.

Summer said...

It doesn't matter what pharmacy I go to, the pharmacist always looks stressed. I love weather too, so does my youngest. What's up with that?