Thursday, February 01, 2007

A Cold, Very Cold Rain…

The National Weather Service issued a winter weather advisory for us last night. I stayed up all night watching the weather, rain, and the temperature on my little wireless weather station. The temperature dropped to 34 degrees and just stopped. I was so disappointed. I live so close to the Gulf of Mexico (a day away) and it moderates the cold air to a certain extent. That is why it is so hard for us to get a decent snow or just a snow at all. It has been seven long years. I was hoping to get to use the 4-wheel-drive on my Honda CR-V for a change.

A friend of mine emailed me and wanted to know some particulars of my life lately so I decided to write about that today for her. Yes, I still go to Alcoholics Anonymous every night. Lunch times often find me sitting over at Rodger’s Barbeque eating the daily special. Wednesday is meatloaf day and I never miss it. They cook a fabulous meatloaf recipe.

Me and mom still eat out every Thursday night. Last Thursday we went to the Waffle House and I ate the double hamburger platter. Mom got a chicken salad. You see the most interesting people in the Waffle House. My friend Charlie says they are a little too interesting.

Sam found his old owners. I put an ad in the paper for him. I just knew he was somebody’s dog. He turned out to be the property of a local doctor who lives out Spring Road. I went to High School with his son so he knew me very well. They came and picked up Sam the first of the week so it just me and Maggie again. Maggie really misses Sam and I was starting to get attached to him as well. I was glad he got reunited with his rightful owners though.

I am very excited about my new home. I should start moving in the next few weeks or so. The workmen finished framing the windows in my laundry room and I have to go pick out some linoleum for the kitchen and carpet for my bedroom and computer room. I had a guy come and tile the hall which looks very nice. This house has completely eaten up my savings though. At one time, I had $5000 dollars in the bank as an emergency fund. It is all gone now. It will take another few years to rebuild it after I move in and get used to a completely new budget.

Well, I am going to go get lost in a game of NeverWinter Nights 2. I have been a fan of Dungeons and Dragons since I was a little boy. I miss me and my many childhood and college friends getting together to play the pen and paper game. At least, I have an electronic version to enjoy. I hope you all have a good day and snow comes your way!

5 comments:

zirelda said...

We got 2.7 inches of snow last night with another 7 to 9+ predicted for tonight. It was 10 degrees with a wind chill of 0 this morning.

I'd rather be where you are right now Andrew. The snow was fun the first couple of times it fell but I'm tired of it now and waiting for spring.

Augs Casa said...

Andrew,

Plenty of snow here in the midwest for ya amigo. We had a few zero degree days here also. Sounds like your house is coming along. I look forward to you moving in and letting us know how you and Maggie fit in.

austere said...

Its getting really hot hereabouts, almost summer with a fury. Sam went back? oh. But I guess you had to go the right thing.
The new template is nice but I liked the one with your image and the steel texture, better.

Cheryl said...

I'm so happy that you filled us in on what's been going on with you. I know how important routine is and am glad that you have that. I'm sorry to hear about Sam but glad that he's back with his owners.

Your e-mail and this post have given me ideas for things I want to write about. If only I had a little Moleskine in my purse to write them down on...

abbagirl74 said...

ugh. Waffle house. Had my first experience in a bad week. Perhaps I would have enjoyed it more despite the circumstances.