Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Between a Rock and a Hard Place…

There was a knock upon my door late yesterday evening. At first, I had trouble discerning whether it was an auditory hallucination due to my schizophrenia until Maggie came running jubilantly out of my bedroom and into the den whining and barking. She gets so excited when I have company. My father was standing out in the cold night air on the threshold of my backdoor.
“Uh, no,” I said hating to lie to my mother. I was between a rock and a hard place. “I think he went down to the pharmacy to check on some things.”
“Can I borrow your DVD player and the television?” He asked.

“Sure,” I said as I opened the door wide and welcomed him inside.

My father is obsessed with the British Monarchy. They have a library in their home and it is filled with books on the Monarchy that were gifts and purchases over the years. My father has read them all. In his hand tonight was a DVD video he wanted to watch that he had ordered from public television out of Boston.

“Your mother is driving me crazy,” He said. “She has asked me a thousand questions since I arrived home from work. I couldn’t take it any longer and need to watch this in some peace and quiet.”

I laughed. My mother is a tad obsessive compulsive. “Like mother, like son,” I thought. She has been known to call me three or four times in a row asking questions as well. My recent abscessed tooth brought forth a frenzy of concerned and obsessive calls from her. I managed to narrowly escape going to the dentist due to her urging by taking antibiotics.

Ring. Ring.

Dad was watching his video as I answered my phone.

“I am not here,” He said.

I picked up the phone and said hello.

“Andrew, your father has just disappeared and I am worried about him,” My mother said on the other end.

“He’s fine,” I replied.

“Have you seen him?”

I looked at dad wondering how to answer. He waved me off.

“Uh, no,” I said hating to lie to my mother. I was between a rock and a hard place. “I think he went down to the pharmacy to check on some things.”

I finally managed to get off the phone with my mother. Dad thanked me for so astutely handling that awkward situation. I sat down with him and watched the rest of that DVD about Charles, The Prince of Wales, and Camella Parker Bowle’s royal wedding. It was nice spending some quiet time with my father even if the video bored me to tears. I have never been one much for weddings. I was almost late for my own.

13 comments:

abbagirl74 said...

That was funny. I can just picture you sitting on the recliner watching that boring dvd with your chin in your hand. Great post!

Cheryl said...

I'm glad you got to spend some time with your father, even if it was boring. My mom likes to watch Judge Judy when she comes over. I tune it out.

Any good dinners at your folks house coming up? I love hearing what you eat there. I was just looking at old posts to find the name of the wonderful cook at your Mom's when I came across something you wrote about how 3 good meals a day when you're not feeling well does wonders for you. So, eat up, OK?

Not-faint-hearted said...

I hate getting put in the middle like that. I'm glad you were able to enjoy some time together with your father.

M said...

I remember watching the Princess Di and Prince Charles wedding with my mom.

I hope the second marriage is more real and more satisfying for Prince Charles.

Anonymous said...

Hello, I just found you blog and like it very much. I have issues with my mental illness as well, so it's nice to read about someone who goes through the same/similar things. And whos mother sounds almost the same as mine as well.
Uhm, yes. That is all.

Amanda said...

I can understand your father. It's hard to find some privacy in a marriage. I like the clouds and the field at the top of the page very much.

Red Robin. said...

Andrew, your blog looks top notch.

I would have been bored off my head if someone had bought any dvd of the royals round. Blurgh!

Give Maggie a hug for me...

Catch ya later mate.

Kristen said...

I like your new look! You do put a lot of work into making your blog enjoyable.

Yeah, being in the middle is not fun. "Trapped!" my mind screams at me. "Get me out of this!"

I always think of better things to say when it is all over, and too late.

You did very well. :)

d. chedwick bryant said...

did your dad like princess diana?

austere said...

I remember once i think in 6th grade, waiting by the road side, paper flag in hand and all, for the Prince's convoy to go past. It was a big event in my very small town.

Anonymous said...

Hello everyone!
I would like to burn a theme at this forum. There is such a nicey, called HYIP, or High Yield Investment Program. It reminds of ponzy-like structure, but in rare cases one may happen to meet a company that really pays up to 2% daily not on invested money, but from real profits.

For quite a long time, I earn money with the help of these programs.
I don't have problems with money now, but there are heights that must be conquered . I get now up to 2G a day , and my first investment was 500 dollars only.
Right now, I'm very close at catching at last a guaranteed variant to make a sharp rise . Visit my blog to get additional info.

http://theblogmoney.com

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have been times of hardship when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
I have never imagined that there weren't any need in large starting capital.
Now, I feel good, I begin to get real money.
It's all about how to select a correct companion who utilizes your funds in a right way - that is incorporate it in real business, and shares the income with me.

You may get interested, if there are such firms? I have to answer the truth, YES, there are. Please be informed of one of them:
http://theblogmoney.com

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have were times of hardship when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
I have never imagined that there weren't any need in large starting capital.
Now, I'm happy and lucky , I begin take up real income.
It gets down to choose a correct companion who uses your funds in a right way - that is incorporate it in real business, parts and divides the income with me.

You may get interested, if there are such firms? I have to answer the truth, YES, there are. Please get to know about one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]