Wednesday, January 24, 2007

New schizophrenia treatment possible

This looks very promising. I am going to print it out and show it to my father. I wonder if there is a way to get in on this study. I need to call my brother...

TORONTO, Jan. 23 (UPI) -- Canadian researchers have discovered a dopamine signaling complex in the brain that might lead to a new treatment for schizophrenia.

The team, lead by Drs. Susan George and Brian O'Dowd of the Center for Addiction and Mental Health, said the complex is composed of two different types of dopamine receptors that might offer a new in understanding of schizophrenia.

"This distinct unit provides a novel signaling pathway through which dopamine can impact the function of brain cells," said George. "This is significant because signaling through calcium release is a major mechanism regulating many important functions in the brain and we have provided the first direct mechanism by which dopamine can activate a calcium signal."

[...]

Copyright 2007 by United Press International. All Rights Reserved.


Read the rest here from Science Daily.


3 comments:

austere said...

Hmm. Yes, I read this yesterday.AND I know you have doctors in the family.

BUT you dont want to start with something that works on a new pathway.Because that pathway may well be present in ten other places in the body, where it may work in some important way, and we dont want to take a chance with that. Not yet.Maybe, just maybe a late phase 3 if the data is clean.But still avoidable.

Anyway, this article reads some distance away from any clinical testing.Like Frost, " Miles to go before we sleep, and miles to go before we sleep."

2 The World U R 1 Person, 2 1 Person U R The World said...

I'm waiting until I can sit down with a clear mind to read about this. I do what I can to stay up to date on mental health issues.

But I can say I have to agree with Austere even tho I have not read it yet. If what he says is true, and it sound like he knows what he speaks of, I think he offered you good advice.

L

Liz said...

correction... Austere is a SHE. Sorry for the assumption on my part!!!

Liz