Thursday, January 25, 2007

Singleness of Purpose…

I have a new dog. I have named the puppy Sam. I drove out spring road yesterday afternoon on my usual ride for photo opportunities. I wanted to get pictures of the many cows in the pastures, but they were far a flung in the remote pastures off the side of the road. As I neared where the road turns to dirt and gravel, a small dog that looked like a miniature golden retriever was wandering on the dirt portion of the road. I parked, got out, and called for it. It immediately came to me and hopped into the car. I brought it home and Maggie immediately was taken to it. The dog is currently sleeping in front of my heater which is on high and has made himself at home.

For those of you wanting to know about the kitten, the kitten only stayed a few days. Maggie was entirely too rough with it and would carry it around in her mouth like a stuffed toy. The kitten stayed continually wet from dog saliva. I had to find it a home due to fears that Maggie would hurt it.

Last night, I again wandered over to the A.A. meeting hall after dusk. We have two distinct A.A. groups that meet over at the meeting hall. One is very liberal and is dying due to lack of membership. I think one reason it is dying is that the group is so small and they put a lot of pressure on newcomers to talk. This makes me immensely uncomfortable when I go.

Last night, was the extremely conservative A.A. group which is thriving. It is filled with A.A. goers with years and years of sobriety. I find them a very close minded and stodgy group of fellows with only a scattering of females. The whole group consisted of pertaining to talk only about alcohol and the use thereof. Many people spoke of the “singleness of purpose” of A.A. I have found through my own travels of recovery that drinking was just a symptom of a greater sickness of the soul. I drank to hide my failings and to cover up these imperfections of my spirit. These are the things I needed to talk about. It is not allowed in last night’s group as they are very vocal about this “singleness of purpose” and sticking to it. I still go though as I find the social aspects to be beneficial although I mainly just sit there and listen.

13 comments:

Amanda said...

Sam is really cute. He reminds me of a dog I used to have as a child. I just know he'll be a great companion when he thaws out.

Cheryl said...

I need time to comment on all you wrote. I'll be back after the dentist. Another very cute dog. Wow!

Angel said...

The puppy is adoreable!!! I love the name you chose too. It's very fitting.

As for the meetings, I'm sorry you don't have one available to you that is more suiting. I'm sure that can be somewhat detrimental to your recovery. But it sounds like you aren't letting it stop you. I have faith in you that you'll still be strong:)

Tiffanie said...

AA is a magical place. I know that word just sounds corny, but you know what? When you've been in those rooms and felt yourself feeling a little bit better you know it's like a soul sickness medication.

RICH said...

just keep showing up at the meetings dude.All you need for membership is the desire to stop drinking and the rest will follow.

Cheryl said...

Are there any other AA meetings around? I wonder if a new group could splinter off from the big one? I admire your willingness to stay with it for what you do get out of it.

Rebecca said...

Sam is, indeed, a handsome fellow. I just LOVE those white-tipped paws. But Maggie is still just the cutest thing EVER...hehe. I'm glad these lucky dogs found a good home.

Emily said...

Wow Andrew, that is one adorbale puppy. Maggie must be so happy to have another dog to play with. Do you know how old he is?

M said...

Oh.Maggie has a boyfriend!

2 The World U R 1 Person, 2 1 Person U R The World said...

In my mind I see you trying to get 2 puppies into the house at once.

I can't wait to see some video of these 2 critters driving you mad by running literal circles around you outside in your yard!

:o)
L

Grad007 said...

Hi Andrew,

I'm glad you're doing better! I don't know much about how dogs behave, but I think it's normal for cats to pick up kittens with their mouth. It sounded to me like Maggie was trying to mother the kitten. Anyway, Sam looks very happy to have found you :)

austere said...

Sam looks like a gentleman. Give him my regards, please

pai said...

thanks for the kitten update. at least it has a home to be in somewhere. :)