Monday, January 01, 2007

Traditional Deep South Fare…

I cooked a big pot of turnip greens and black eyed peas to usher in the New Years. It is a tradition in the South and it is said you will get $1000 dollars for every heaping serving of black eyed peas you eat. I made sure to put ample vinegary hot sauce in my turnip greens getting them “just right.” I also cooked a pork loin and baked some sweet potatoes. It made for a wonderful New Year’s feast. I am feeling well satiated at the moment and will eat again in a few hours for supper.

I apologize for the lack of blogging lately. I just haven’t felt well and it is hard for me to write when I get to feeling that way. I worry my mental illness will color what I write. I have had a ton of delusions and auditory hallucinations. I have been doubling up on my anti-psychotic medications and it seems to be helping. I would have never been able to cook like I did today, yesterday.

My father’s best friend, Charlie, came and spent some time with me today. We drove up to Kroger to buy some Cokes that were on sale and then came home to put up plastic sheeting upon my windows in this apartment. My windows are terribly drafty and it has caused my heating costs to be sky high lately. Hopefully, I and Charlie’s endeavors today will bring down those costs. I leave you with a picture of Charlie cursing and busily putting up that sheeting. Good day.


4 comments:

abbagirl74 said...

YOU KNOW HOW TO COOK GREENS? I am totally envious. I didn't know you could cook like that! Oh, I wish I could have been there. Perhaps a picture of your dinner plate? I love cooking greens and beans. Well, sounds like your day was pretty productive. Mine was and now I am off for the rest of the day. Yeah!

Leann said...

I wish I could say my years in the south honed my tastebuds for such fare but I have to admit it didn't. bleck....no offense intended Andrew, I'm sure they were scrumptious.

Summer said...

Sounds very good to me! I made navy bean and ham soup today. I wish I had made the cornbread too!

austere said...

" Cursing and putting up the sheeting" hehe. Sounds like an interesting eprson allright.