Friday, February 16, 2007

Fresh and Clean as a Whistle…

Yesterday was a quiet day in Andrew-Ville so I don’t have much to write about today. The only notable thing that happened was that Rosa came by at lunch and hung out for about two hours and I also had a meeting with my father’s lawyer yesterday morning. I and mom didn’t go out to eat last night. She is going through a depression of sorts and is staying in the bed for most of her days. She suffers from a harsher form of schizophrenia than I and so does her mother and my great grandmother as well. It’s kind of a maternal family curse.
I have often heard people say in the South that life is about as hard as you make it out to be. That is a bunch of Pollyannaish bullshit after what Rosa has gone through over the years when she told me about much of her past.
Yesterday morning found me down at my father’s pharmacy. We had to go speak to his lawyer about the Visa credit card I had applied for a few months back. I didn’t carefully read the many pages of very fine print when I applied for it online. I never used the card (tore it up when it arrived) and they are still trying to bill me for $278 dollars in “finance fees” on a thousand dollar line of credit I never used. I refused to pay it and will take them to small claims court if need be. It is a matter of principle and not necessarily about the money. While we were at the lawyer’s office, we also had power of attorney papers drawn up for me so that if I grow very ill again, as I have over the years, my father, brother, and sister will have power of attorney to make decisions on my behalf. I know it needs to be done, but it is still kind of scary and sobering to have your life in the hands of others.

Rosa was in fine spirits yesterday. She wanted to watch one of those “court” shows on TV. I think it was Judge Judy. I don’t watch that tripe.

“You sure smell good,” She told me when she walked in my door.

“I just took a shower,” I replied.

“Irish Spring Soap,” She said as she whistled loudly mimicking the commercial. “Fresh and clean as a whistle.”

I laughed heartily at her saying that.

I fixed us both hotdogs and potato chips for lunch and we sat and talked a long time after her show had ended. I am so amazed at what she has gone through in life and she still has an upbeat attitude about it all. If I would have experienced what she has, I would probably be a far more broken man. I have often heard people say in the South that life is about as hard as you make it out to be. That is a bunch of Pollyannaish bullshit after what Rosa has gone through over the years when she told me about much of her past. The same holds true for me as well.

post signature

8 comments:

Cheryl said...

It sounds like you had a pretty good day in Andrew-ville. A lot of variety of activities. My day was pretty ho-hum. I hope this one is better. I hope it's a better one for your mom too.

abbagirl74 said...

Sounds like it was a good day. I am glad. Hey, have I told you lately how proud I am of you? Well, I really am.

HarCohen said...

I was browsing blogs when I came across yours. Our family also has that maternal grandmother kind of genetic link, more frequently expressed in outright depression. I'm out of work again after some issues.

It seems to me you already have a profession in your writing. You just have to learn how you can make money at it.

Good luck and G-d Bless your family.

Amanda said...

The secret is not to fall - and we all fall - but to keep getting up again. Hope your mom will be up and about soon.

Kristen said...

Very good idea to have those power of attorneys in place. Now that they are there, focus on staying well and not needing them!

Teronni said...

Ahhh, Irish Spring.
I love the way that smells.
Have to use Dove with the 1/4 moisturizing cream, though.
And then the in-shower body conditioner.
And then the body oil.
Ohio winters are very drying.
All the moisturizing is exhausting.

Proxima said...

I've never hears of such a thing with this credit card company! What a bunch of b.s. I hope your lawyer slaps them up side the head in terms they'll understand!
-P

austere said...

Very good about taking the card company to court. But isn't Rosa amazing upbeat despite all she's gone through? Any luck with the search fr her daughter?