Saturday, February 24, 2007

Sunrise over the Chattahoochee…

Ah, another restful night of sleep. I just might get used to this. I was just standing outside in the cool morning air drinking my first mug of coffee of the day and I thought, you know, that would make a wonderful photograph. I was far too lazy and sleepy to walk back inside to grab the camera and snap a shot though. There will be many more sunrises in my life. I hope. Touchwood as Austere would say.

I walked back inside, turned on the television to find more and more commercials on The Weather Channel and less weather. Maggie sat at my feet watching me stoically. That is her way of letting me know she needs to go out for a potty break pronto. The constant staring will turn into muted mews in a few moments. Having a young dog is like having a kid except, hopefully, your kid doesn’t lick their butt.

Soon, the smell of brewing coffee in my apartment will be accompanied by the smell of frying bacon and the sound of eggs cracking and sizzling in the pan. I am feeling adventurous and nouveau riche this morning and might just have a cheese omelet instead of my usual plain Jane scrambled. Ok, my stomach is telling me to quit writing about it and to get to cooking. Good day.

post signature

7 comments:

austere said...

heh. So you read that, eh?
OF COURSE. Spectacular sunrises with splashes of orange-red.
AND TY for the link. You know how I like hustling for hits.:)

d. chedwick bryant said...

enjoy your breakfast--sounds like you will!

brotherbill said...

Hi Andrew,

I stumbled upon your blog--compulsively hitting the Next Blog button inserted in my FireFox Bookmarks Toolbar Folder--and enjoy it immensely.

I identify with your experiences. The big book talks about identifying oneself with rather than comparing oneself to another. Perhaps your chirpy crickets recall the appropriate citation. It is interesting that our legacies, the Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions of Alcoholics Anonymous are written in the first person plural rather than the first person singular. It is a group effort: we, us, our; not the selfishness we once created of: me, my, I. Only the Responsibility Statement is a personal declaration, our individual commitment to others:

"I am responsible . . . When anyone, anywhere, reaches out for help, I want the hand of AA always to be there. And for that: I am responsible."

I, too, am a friend of Bill's, but first a friend of Lois and entered the fellowship through the kitchen rather than the front door. I am ending a thirty-year truck driving career and manage a trucking safety and compliance blog, The Professional Truck Driver: Responsible And Accountable.

Additionally I am working the steps online at The Al-Anon Waltz: Step 1,2,3… and maintain our Al-Anon Family Groups website for District 23, Santa Cruz and San Benito Counties. I've struggled, been homeless and may be there again soon. My other commitments include local service to our Interfaith Satellite Shelter Program.

I am grateful for all I am, all I have, and all I can give. Keep up the good work. Our common recovery, the recovery of what we lost or are denied by the disease of alcoholism is not a destination, but rather an amazing journey. We progress in grace, one day at a time.

Cheryl said...

Yum, yum, yum on the food. Laughing on the kid licking the butt. They can do some pretty gross stuff, but not that!

Kristen said...

You remind me I need to get off the computer and fix my own breakfast!

Peace.

Kristen said...

Nice to meet you, brotherbill. I left a comment at your blog. Welcome, on behalf of us all.

Claudia said...

Your post made me LOL at work today. Thanks for the chuckle.