Friday, April 23, 2004

A pitiful consumer cries to be let out.......

I never spend any money anymore. The last thing I purchased in a store was the game Battlefield Vietnam and that has been over a month ago. I pay for the utilities here (which are darn expensive even though I never use them, I can't figure this out :-() and I buy groceries and pay for my medical bills. That's it.

I have a hankering for a certain weatherproof Sony radio from Wal-Mart and it is burning a hole in my wallet. It is only just a little over $20 dollars so it will not break the bank. Should I get it or should I save the money? I have a real conundrum this afternoon but I want it so badly. I am obsessing about it. The thought of tearing into that shiny new packet full of an electronic gadget brings the geek in me out. I love electronics.

My other radio is not weatherproof and I would like to have a weather proof radio for my trip this weekend. Yes, my big trip is finally here. I am hiking the 20 odd miles from Cusseta Alabama to Lafayette Alabama via an old abandoned railway line. I am very excited and have been packing and going through all the gear I want to take. When I last weighed my pack it was at 43 pounds. I have all my fishing gear packed in with my rod strapped to the side of the pack. I hope to hit a good creek along the way and see if I can catch some supper that day.

I also walked down to the liquor store and bought a little pint of southern comfort to fill my little aluminum flask. That will be a treat for me as I sit next to the fire, smoke my cigarettes and pipe, and listen to the radio. I can't wait to sit there surrounded by the aroma of a hardwood fire, inhaling the pungent smoke from my pipe and the feel of that bitingly warm liquid as it slides down my throat and warms me on a chilly evening. Don't worry; I am not hard liquor man and usually only beer is what gets me in trouble. Liquor is just an occasional treat and a pint will do no harm.

I have to help my darling ex-wife with her thesis tonight. We are almost done. I have to finish that fifteen minute power point presentation so I better get online and find what pictures of Carson McCullers that I can to give me some material to work with. Well, let me finish packing and get a CD burned of that material for transport this evening. Wish me luck and I will post again on Monday. Have a great weekend all.

No comments: