Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Walkin down that road to home......

Well, I made it back. I had to get up at the crack of dawn and get all my stuff packed back up for the hike home. It only takes about an hour to make it home from where I was. The tent was covered with dew this morning and that it was an unpleasant pain to take down, roll up, and put it in its carry bag. I got wet myself during the process. I will have to set it up this afternoon in the back yard and air it out so it will not mildew.

I also left my shoes and socks outside of the tent and they were damp and clammy to put on due to the dew and cool temps. It still got very chilly this morning despite a high of over eighty yesterday. My little clip on pack thermometer read 54 this morning at 6 AM.

My hobos were great. It took forever to get the carrots and potatoes done though. The ketchup and mustard melded together to make this wonderful tangy tomatoey sauce that is one of my favorite camp foods. The ground beef gets infused with this sauce and is a treat. This recipe is also easy to make in the oven as well. You just have to put the hobos on a pan in case the aluminum foils leaks. That’s why I use the heavy, heavy duty aluminum foil. The sauce is one of the best things about it and the steam cooks the vegetables much better.

After eating, I built back up the fire and sat on a log listening to my little radio and smoking my pipe. What a great moment and a moment I wish someone would share with me. I would love to find someone nearby who shares my passion for camping out and hiking. I am still not sure if my new found friend would join me. She is very girly and may not go for roughing it even though she loves to day hike with me.

I was near a pond and a small stream and the sound of tree frogs and bull frogs filled the air. I was far enough away that it was not deafening and I could go to sleep well. I did lay for a long time listening to the sounds of the woods and the animals that only come out at night. I could hear the hoot owl off in the distance and the sounds of crickets as they went about their nightly mating rituals.

I should have brought my digital camera and forgot it. I will do so in a few days and let you all see the pond and the creek surrounded by cat tails.

Well, I must get ready to go get my dreaded monster shot in the butt. I just hope I don’t have to wait all morning for something that takes exactly five minutes to administer. Take care and be well.

No comments: