Friday, April 30, 2004

Talking about wasps and this has nothing to do with World War Two.......

I have watched her build this nest for over two months. She started with the first warm days of spring. She works diligently and never tires. Soon she will have a brood to take care of.

I noticed today that the first cell was capped and had an egg within. Her first child is taking shape. A progeny is born.

She doesn’t bother me and I don’t bother her. I let her live her life and she let’s me live mine. I stand at the door all the time to smoke as I do not smoke inside and she has become accustomed to me. We tolerate each other.

I thought for awhile she wouldn’t make it. The nest was coming slowly and the cells were only half done. She has prevailed though and we will soon see her children coming and going. I hope they tolerate me and don’t sting. I will let them be as long as they do the same. When I smoke my pipe or cigarettes, my head is just a few inches from the nest.

This reminds me of how precarious life can be but when it prevails it is wonderful to watch. Wonderful indeed.

No comments: