Monday, April 26, 2004

That darn coelacanth…….

I am having a good night tonight. We had a good rain today that we needed badly and that always puts me in good spirits. I have all the windows open and a breeze is blowing through with the smell of rain in the air.

I am bored though and have spent hours reading various websites and blogs tonight. I just didn’t feel like gaming tonight and I have nothing else to do. I turned on the television for a second and as always there was only garbage to watch and turned it off.

I fixed a pot of hot tea and I am sipping on it as I write. I also got off my diet and am eating a mayonnaise sandwich. Yes, just two slices of bread with lots of mayonnaise. I know most people would find that gross but I love them. I had the munchies.

My father called me a few hours ago and the conversation went as follows…..

“Hey, what is a coelacanth?” he asked.

“Coelacanth?” I replied.

‘Yeah, coelacanth, do you know what it is?” he asked.

“Sure, it is a primitive fish that was presumed extinct and then found off the coast of Madagascar, ironically, in a market for fish to sell for consumption. It has been found in the fossil record for millions of years.” I replied.

He laughed with glee and went on about how much a bunch of nerds we all are. He had called my brother and asked the same question and he knew what it was as well. He had watched a show on television about it and was interested in it. He loved that me and my brother both knew what it was and laughed heartily and carried on much about it.

“How did you know that?” he asked.

“I think I read it in National Geographic some time ago and have read a lot about it since then.” I responded.

Only my father, the nerd, would take great pleasure out of such a conversation. I felt proud though that I knew what it was and could join in on the discussion.

Well, it is well past my bedtime and I guess I need to amble towards that way. I am just not sleepy and all the tea I have drank tonight does not help. I think I will find something interesting on the radio and just lay in the bed for awhile listening to sounds of things that go bump in the night. Namely, horny crickets! *laughs* Good night!

No comments: