Saturday, April 24, 2004

Final preparations and light-weight vs. comfortable......

Well, I am sitting here all ready to go waiting on my ride. I have to get a ride to a location were the rail line crosscuts a country road. We are talking extremely rural here folks. I will be out in the middle of absolute nowhere for two days and two nights. I did get the chance to swing by Wally world last night and get a refill minutes card for my cell phone so will have that for an emergency. My father’s best friend will pick me up Monday afternoon as he comes right through the area after heading home from work in Dadeville Alabama.

The last weigh in of my pack is 53 pounds. This would make some long time hiking purists scream in horror at this weight. There is this huge shift to light weight hiking in the hiking world now days as technology has advanced. I just cannot afford a $200 titanium stove or an $80 set of titanium cooking gear and utensils. Nor can I afford that $400 dollar super light weight down sleeping bag that folds up to the size of your balled fist.

There is a direct trade off between going light weight and being comfortable unless you are ultra wealthy. I would rather work harder in the day and be more comfortable at night. Sure, I could sleep under an open tarp at night and save 10 pounds but I like my tent and the protection and comfort it provides. I don’t want to wake up to a nosey armadillo sniffing my face in the wee hours of the morning. That and I want a place to put all my gear in case we do get any rain even though it is not forecasted.

Just a few more minutes of waiting and off I go. I am almost giddy with excitement. May your entire trails end in adventure and good tales. I will keep a journal and then let you hear the details when I arrive home. Till then……..A bientôt mon ami

No comments: