Wednesday, September 22, 2004

A boring night…….

I had all my camping gear packed up. I was about to put on my Kelty redcloud backpack and head out for a few days. I really needed a break. I stood at the door contemplating what I would do. I was standing there thinking about it. What did I do? I sat my pack down by the door and decided not to go. Maybe tomorrow, I thought to myself. I am really getting soft here. I feel the need to stay comfortable with sleeping in a tent and a sleeping bag. I also enjoy it but for my drinking inclinations. Camping was the perfect excuse to get drunk while sitting around a campfire.

I fixed a big percolator of coffee and sat on my porch. I watched with amusement as the neighbor’s dog proceeded to torture himself. He is a yappy little mix of a wiener dog and keeps me up many nights barking on their porch. He was chained to the ornamental pear tree in their front yard. He would see something that caught his eye and run full tilt until the leash’s slack ran out.

YANK!

I chuckled and took another sip of coffee. It was just punishment as this dog has driven me crazy for months barking.

Look! A bird!

YANK!

Mr. Squirrel runs across the yard.

YANK!

He would take a moment to collect his composure and then…..YANK!

You would think that this dog would figure out that running as fast as you can in a certain direction on a tether means pain.

My neighbor finally realized this dog was going to self destruct any moment and walked out and let him off his leash. What did he do? He sat in the front yard and barked forever. I muttered, thanks, under my breath in a sarcastic tone.

No comments: