Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Open thine eyes and thou shalt see…….

I have a hereditary deformity of my corneas called karatocona. I have been to the eye doctor many times trying to get some help with blurred and double vision despite wearing my glasses. It got to where it was dangerous for me to drive at night because of the extreme glare from lights and headlights. A few months ago the doctor finally figured it out when he took out my father’s chart and looked at it. He stood there looking at the chart….

“Hmmmm……..” he mumbled.

“What is it Doc?” I asked.

“Put your face back in the scope and let me look at your eyes again.” He said.

I leaned forward and he sat down in the chair putting his face to the contraption.

“I now see why you have been having so much trouble with your vision. You have karatacona like your father. It is hereditary and sometimes hard to catch.” He replied.

“Does that mean I will never be able to see well again?” I asked.

“We can correct it but you must wear hard contacts everyday. It is going to take some getting used to.” He replied.

“How much will this cost?” I asked.

He told me the round about price and my heart sunk. There was no way I could afford that at the moment.

It has taken many months to save up for the contacts. They are very expensive and I could only put aside twenty dollars here and thirty dollars there. I finally got up the amount and called to order them. They called me this morning and told me that they have arrived from the laboratory.

I went by this morning to pick them up and try them on. The technician showed me how to put them in. “DEAR GOD!!!!!,” was my reaction. It really was that dramatic. I didn’t realize how bad my vision had become. It was as if I was blind and was given sight. Everything was clear and bright and I could read signs and words from across the room.

I am reveling in my new vision this morning. I am noticing little things that I have not seen before. I no longer have to sit right in front of my computer to read what is on the screen. I can see it from several feet back. I also noticed that my carpet needs vacuuming very badly. LOL I need to get to work. It is just so novel to be able to see so well again.

No comments: