Thursday, September 30, 2004

A walk to the park, eh, I mean to the pig……

I stayed up late last night. I didn’t get into bed after midnight. Despite that, I got up early this morning. I wiped the sleep from my eyes and walked to the refrigerator. I stood at the fridge with the door open pondering what to eat. “Grape jelly and toast?” No, I am hungry and that wouldn’t fill me up. “Eggs and bacon?” No, I am too sleepy and tired to cook. I ended up boiling some water and fixing some instant oatmeal. It was a compromise.

After breakfast, I decided to walk down to the pig and buy some celery and an onion. I wanted to make some homemade spaghetti sauce for lunch. I scrounged up some change and put it in my pocket and set out down the road.

When I arrived at the store, a few of the groupies were sitting out in front. It was still early and second shift hadn’t arrived. Slop was out there with a brown paper bag in his hand with what was most likely a beer. Cap with tag guy was leaned up against the wall listening to his walkman. He was nodding his head to whatever music was blaring out of his head phones. I went on in after nodding hello and bought my items. I also bought a little chocolate milk as a treat.

I stepped outside the store and sat down next to Slop on the bench. I lit up a cigarette and opened my chocolate milk. The smell of body odor almost made me throw the chocolate milk away. I drank it quickly.

Damn it, Slop. Take a fucking bath.” I thought to myself.

“You seen George?” I asked.

“Naw, he mos likely be sleepin’ still.” Slop replied. His breath reeked of alcohol.

“Slop, who do you stay with?” I asked.

“I be stayin’ at my sista’s crib.” Slop replied.

As we were sitting there, a beat up, raggedy, early nineties model geo metro pulled up. A young white lady got out who had the classic chicken head crack whore look. She and Cap with tag guy walked to the other side of the Fanta drink machine. Cap with tag had just earned his lunch money.

“Does he ever get caught?” I asked Slop.

“Not dat I have eva seen.” Slop replied.

“Well, let me get home and get some lunch started.” I replied.

“Man, I sho could use somethin’ to eat myself.” Slop said.

“Cya Slop.” I said.

“Hey, could you spare a brotha a smoke?” Slop asked as I got up to walk away.

I handed Slop a cigarette, he put it into his mouth and asked for a light. I lit the cigarette and started on my way to home.

No comments: