Monday, September 13, 2004

George and the gang….

I have not seen George in a long time. I no longer go to the Piggly Wiggly since I have been able to drive. There is a much nicer, family owned grocery store across town. Well, I had an encounter with George and the gang today. I had to run down to the Piggly Wiggly and buy some half and half for my coffee. I didn’t feel like driving across town. George and the fellas were sitting out in front of the store as usual.

“Well, son of a bitch, look who da cat drug in.” George said.

“George, long time no see.” I said.

“Yo brotha must not like you too much as he don’t come and see ya.” Slop said.

All the black guys started to chuckle after Slop said this.

“Shut up nigga!” George hollered.

I started to walk on in the store and George grabbed me by the arm.

“Come here. Come here. I gots somethin I needs ya to do fo me.” George said.

George always needs something. These guys are professional, full time panhandlers.

“Buy me one one of dem ice beers. I is thirsty. A six pack would be real nice about now too.” George said.

I knew if I bought him a beer then someone who knows me or my family would see me and it would get around. That is just my luck.

“George, buy your own damn beer man.” I said. “I know you have some money.”

“Ah, come on, helps a brotha out.” He said.

I patted George on the back and said no again and continued on into the store. I grabbed and paid for my crème and headed back to the car.

“I am gonna comes and see you soon!” George hollered at me as I walked across the parking lot.

“George, I am damn glad you don’t know where I live.” I said as I laughed.

I was damn glad that George doesn’t know where I live. The last thing I need is George showing up at 3 am in the morning drunk and wanting to party. It was kind of good seeing crazy old George again though.

No comments: