Sunday, September 26, 2004

Chicken N’ Dumplings……

I had a great stay over with Myrtis. We both worked together on how to fix homemade chicken and dumplings. A good chicken broth is the key with chicken wings, onions, celery, pepper, and salt. She let the chicken cook until it was tender and the broth had concentrated.

Next, she showed me how to make the dumplings. She made the dough with two cups of flour, one cup of whole milk and a scoop of shortening. We rolled out the dough and cut it into strips and put it on some wax paper on a pan and put it in the freezer to freeze. This was a little trick I was keen to learn. After the dough was frozen it was very easy to work with. You could just break it up into chunks and place it into the boiling broth and it didn’t just fall apart and it stayed dumplings.

We cut up a nice ripe cantaloupe and then had some lemon meringue pie for desert. The pie was not homemade. It was made by Mrs. Edwards and sold via the local grocery store. It was good though.

After lunch, I spent a few hours trying to watch college football on the television. My great aunt takes long naps in the afternoon after lunch. I had to constantly fumble with the rabbit ears and it was aggravating. Hey, at least I had a TV to watch. The one she had was broken for the longest time.

I got up pretty early this morning to head back home

No comments: