Friday, September 24, 2004

Court Ordered Influx……..

I have noticed that the court ordered AA people come in spurts. This tends to stir up a few old timers like poking a stick in a hornet’s nest. I asked a fellow about it and he said that they schedule the DUI classes at odd times out at the mental health center and they are required to attend AA. They bring a little sheet that the chairperson has to sign. Some of the old timers don’t want no stinkin’ court ordered slackers coming to their meetings!

After the meeting, I stood out on the back patio and smoked a cigarette listening to two old timers arguing over this. I found it amusing that just the simple act of having a few extra bodies could stir up so much animosity.

“They don’t even care about getting sober. They HAVE to come!” A lady said.

“Well, maybe it will sink in if they come enough and it will help them.” A guy said.

“They do not participate.” The lady replied.

“I think that it’s a good idea. I often enjoy it when one of them gets up the courage to speak. They are going through a rough time and need our support.” The guy said. “All they do is just sit and listen and then you have to sign a sheet at the end. There is no harm done.”

“But just because you get a DUI doesn’t mean you are an alcoholic!” She protested.

I chuckled at this but hid it. As if being an alcoholic was some badge of honor or exclusive club. I could picture this scenario happening.

“I only drink one whole bottle of wild turkey a day.” The newcomer says.

“Sorry, you have to drink two to be a bonafide alky!!!! You have to go to AA lite.” An old timer replies.

There are some really cool people that go to AA that I admire a lot and have enjoyed getting to know. I don’t want to paint the picture that AA is full of close minded nitwits. One of the main reason’s I go now is to have a place to talk about my problems with people that understand. I have made some good friends and we talk often. I try not to let a few bad apples spoil the whole lot. I DO find some of the politics involved amusing though. People love to draw lines in the sand.

No comments: